Climbing Skill for OpenMW

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
Losted Shadows

Climbing Skill for OpenMW

Post by Losted Shadows »

Hello there,

Lately I have been playing Daggerfall, which, in case you don't know is the predecessor of Morrowind. In Daggerfall there are a lot of needless statistics, some of which looked like they where going to be improved upon in Morrowind, but they weren't. Instead Bethesda removed them to make things more simple for less able players, which is understandable. However their are a number of cool skills they should have kept, such as climbing. In Daggerfall you can climb some walls, like houses and sharp inclines in dungeons. I think it would be a cool feature to add after v1.
Imagine being a thief, and while the guards are chasing you, you climb onto the roof, or over the wall, and go all free-runner on them.
Anyway, get back to me on the idea. If you don't like it then i suppose I will have to learn ogre.

P.S. Shame on you for not having Daggerfall in the spell-check dictionary.

Losted Shadows
Tarius

Re: Climbing Skill for OpenMW

Post by Tarius »

Actually there is already a mod called Climbing Gear(I think thats the name) that allows you to get gear and climb up steep/vertical surfaces.
ezzetabi

Post by ezzetabi »

I actually see no point in a game where you can fly easily.
To have a good climbing also magic need to be toned down. It is the same problem of Security, no point for it when you get Open Lock spell and Telekinesis.
evercharmer

Post by evercharmer »

What you're asking for is pretty much beyond the scope of the project, as they're not looking to add content to Morrowind; they're making a new and improved engine that can run it. So while they're not working on new skills, they're making it so that we will be able to using the new editor they're developing in conjunction with the engine.
Tes96

Post by Tes96 »

ezzetabi wrote:I actually see no point in a game where you can fly easily.
To have a good climbing also magic need to be toned down. It is the same problem of Security, no point for it when you get Open Lock spell and Telekinesis.
I totally see the point of having climbing. Some people roleplay a thief who doesn't know magic and has to rely on climbing. So while the spells to levitate and open locks are there, some players don't ever use them because it doesn't fit with the role of their character. As a matter of fact, last month I started a new character in Daggerfall who was a rogue/archer and had 0 mana; completely unable to cast magic. That is where climbing would be a useful thing to have since levitating spells would not be an option. One could use enchantments and potions but it would be awesome to see new animations for climbing up steep slopes and houses.

evercharmer wrote:What you're asking for is pretty much beyond the scope of the project, as they're not looking to add content to Morrowind; they're making a new and improved engine that can run it. So while they're not working on new skills, they're making it so that we will be able to using the new editor they're developing in conjunction with the engine.
And with the new editor, would making new skills and adding them into the list of skills from which to choose during Character Generation be a possibility after official release?
There is the Morrowind Crafting mod which adds mundane crafts and skills associated with them which raise as others skills do, but they are never added to the character sheet and remain invisible. The Construction Set unfortunately allows you to edit current skills whether it be their name or what they govern, but not add or delete skills.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Climbing would be difficult to do. We would need new animations and then define the physics of climbing. Not entirely impossible, but I don't see it happen anytime soon.
And with the new editor, would making new skills and adding them into the list of skills from which to choose during Character Generation be a possibility after official release?
Correct. A fixed number of skills is just not acceptable. I am a firm believer in the Zero one infinity rule. Having 27 of something is just silly.

The rework of the skill system should happen relative close to 1.0. Maybe a release or two afterwards. I am pretty sure attributes will come first though (easier to do and a prerequisite, if we want to do skills properly).
Tes96

Post by Tes96 »

Zini wrote:Climbing would be difficult to do. We would need new animations and then define the physics of climbing. Not entirely impossible, but I don't see it happen anytime soon.
Correct. A fixed number of skills is just not acceptable. I am a firm believer in the Zero one infinity rule. Having 27 of something is just silly.

The rework of the skill system should happen relative close to 1.0. Maybe a release or two afterwards. I am pretty sure attributes will come first though (easier to do and a prerequisite, if we want to do skills properly).
Question, once OpenMW 1.0 is released, are you guys able to go back and change something in the Ogre engine code that you did years ago? As in, after official release, is there anything you could not go back and change or delete or add to the engine code? I'm sure you guys as well as us fans will have new ideas after official release and there may be something in the OpenMW code that is missing or needs adjusting. You guys are able to alter anything in your engine at any time, right?
Zini

Post by Zini »

This is an open source project. We have full access to the source, which means we can change any aspect of OpenMW at any time. OGRE is a somewhat different story, since it is an external project, that is just used by OpenMW. Open source too, but the process of making changes to it would be somewhat more complicated.
Tes96

Post by Tes96 »

Zini wrote:This is an open source project. We have full access to the source, which means we can change any aspect of OpenMW at any time. OGRE is a somewhat different story, since it is an external project, that is just used by OpenMW. Open source too, but the process of making changes to it would be somewhat more complicated.
I'm still confused, what does OpenMW do that OGRE doesn't and vice versa? Why do you need both?
raevol

Post by raevol »

Tes96 wrote:I'm still confused, what does OpenMW do that OGRE doesn't and vice versa? Why do you need both?
OpenMW is a game engine, specifically designed to run the assets from Morrowind. It handles gameplay, game mechanics, game data, etc. Ogre is the renderer that OpenMW uses to actually get graphics on the screen. Ogre just takes graphical data that it is handed (like models, textures, shaders), and draws it to your graphics card. Ogre is a system that OpenMW uses, but instead of writing the renderer from the ground up, we just use the already-available code from Ogre to do our graphics.