Scripting & Editor (NPCs Activating Teleport Doors)

Feedback on past, current, and future development.

Do You Like This Idea?

Yes! Please Implement It!
100%
Yes, But It Could Use Some Tweaking.
No votes
No!
No votes

Total votes: 4

TorbenC

Scripting & Editor (NPCs Activating Teleport Doors)

Post by TorbenC » 02 Sep 2012, 04:55

Hello All!

I wanted to propose the suggestion of allowing NPCs to use Teleport Doors in the world of Morrowind. This would give the modding community many more possibilities and I am sure we will see some fantastic A.I overhauls if this functionality is implemented such as True NPC Schedules and Guards Following You Inside are just a couple of ideas.

I believe this would be a fantastic addition to Morrowind Scripting (currently the game crashes if you issue an Activate Command on a teleporting door) and it doesn't have to wait until Post 1.0 as far as I know because this would be able to be added when coding the Activate A.I Package (I have very little C++ knowledge so this is presumed information).

I hope you all like the idea and agree that this would be an outstanding addition to Morrowind! There is a poll if you wish to vote.

Tarius

Re: Scripting & Editor (NPCs Activating Teleport Doors)

Post by Tarius » 02 Sep 2012, 05:10

This was already talked about a while back. Zini has no interest in adding this until possibly post 1.0.
I am a bigger fan of tons of control rather than taking the "user-friendly" approach.
-Okulo

Zini

Post by Zini » 02 Sep 2012, 08:18

To be more precise I don't have any interest in adding anything before 1.0, that isn't in MW.

But actually door activation by NPCs is only a slight generalization of what we have now (NPCs can already activate various types of objects in MW). Currently OpenMW does not properly support object activation by NPCs, but there is an issue for that on the tracker. Since we are going to do it systematically, NPCs using doors (via script) might be included anyway before 1.0.

TorbenC

Post by TorbenC » 02 Sep 2012, 08:50

Zini wrote:To be more precise I don't have any interest in adding anything before 1.0, that isn't in MW.

But actually door activation by NPCs is only a slight generalization of what we have now (NPCs can already activate various types of objects in MW). Currently OpenMW does not properly support object activation by NPCs, but there is an issue for that on the tracker. Since we are going to do it systematically, NPCs using doors (via script) might be included anyway before 1.0.
Sounds good. :) Thank you for clearing that up, and you are doing fantastic work Zini (and the whole team!). your organizational skills have really shined and the rate at which work gets completed on OpenMW is incredible.