What level of animation support exists?

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
Moromaster

What level of animation support exists?

Post by Moromaster »

After checking the OpenMW page on a monthly basis for years, I have a fresh install for 0.47. I'm completely blown away from how good it is in comparison to vanilla or even MGE. The lighting alone makes the game feel like it's two decades newer than it is.

However, after 10 hours into my first play though in years, the animation is really starting to bother me. The combat animations in particular make combat entirely unenjoyable. For character models, the lack of subtle animations, such as facial animations, make the world feel lifeless.

I'm not sure whether this diffencency results from the actual animations or rather the engine. Is there documentation available on what is supported through the animation system. If it's simply a matter of bad animation files, I'd love to have a crack at optimization.

---
Spoiler: Show
AnyOldName3

Re: What level of animation support exists?

Post by AnyOldName3 »

The most glaring animation limitations are with the assets. Morrowind's not received as much love from mod authors when it comes to animations as its sequels, and really good animation mods for those are already hard to find.
Moromaster

Post by Moromaster »

Is there a reason why we cannot convert character animation mods from any of the other TES games?

The one area I assume not supported by the engine (because it's extremely non-vanilla) is multiple "slash" animations per "attack type". I would love to suggest this as an area that would greatly increase adoption of the game, and clearly differentiate it between MGE as the superior platform.

Essentially, you strike from one side, then your following strike is from another angle.

I'm aware some combat games (e.g. Chivalry 2) do have different DPS for different strike types, but these are typically action games in comparison to TES style games which are realistically still a D&D system.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Wellll... OpenMW is moving towards supporting later TES games, so there should be no reason to 'back-port' one.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Later animations aren't directly usable because the skeletons are wildly different. We won't be able to do anything about that engine-side even when we support assets from later games. Maybe you'll be able to use the Skyrim body mesh, skeletons and animations while playing Morrowind, though.
Moromaster

Post by Moromaster »

If you can share a guide (if it exists), I'd love to understand whether these skeletons are unnecessarily limiting? I.e. if modern skeletons were introduced, would this make life easier for modders?

I understand this could create some enormous mod compatibility issues.