Transferring items with a single click

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
Modinstaller

Transferring items with a single click

Post by Modinstaller »

Dragging and dropping items is only really useful for equipping them or placing them on the ground, but most of the time you just want to move an item between a container and your inventory, and I don't know about you but I find it extremely tedious, especially when you're trying to move a lot of them.

How about adding a key modifier for quickly moving an item between iventory and container ? Alt would work.

An example of how it would work :
[Container open]
- Alt + click on an inventory item moves it to the container
- Alt + click on a container item moves it to the inventory
- Alt + click on an item on the ground or an equipped item moves it to the inventory
[Inventory open only]
- Alt + click on an inventory item equips it (you drink a potion, open the alchemy UI, equip a sword, etc...)
- Alt + click on an item on the ground or an equipped item moves it to the inventory

Ctrl + Alt + click moves only one item (except from the ground, since you can only pick up stacks).
Shift + Alt + click moves a full stack.
Settings can be changed to reverse functionality, so pressing Alt instead allows drag and drop while no key pressed allows quick-transfer. The user can also change Alt to another key.
Shops already disable drag and dropping so no change in functionality there (alt doesn't do anything).

What do you think about it ?

Edit : modified for clarity
Last edited by Modinstaller on 21 Oct 2018, 08:01, edited 1 time in total.
DecumusScotti

Re: Transferring items with a single click

Post by DecumusScotti »

I think that sounds like a great idea. And I guess it only requires a moderate amount of work.
terabyte25

Post by terabyte25 »

I too agree with this being implemented, makes the inventory MUCH easier to use.
Jemolk

Post by Jemolk »

EDIT: Sorry, misunderstood what was being talked about. Never mind me.
Last edited by Jemolk on 22 Oct 2018, 08:26, edited 1 time in total.
wareya

Post by wareya »

I just want to drop items on the ground rapidly. I can already pick them up rapidly, why can't I do the reverse? Dragging and dropping can become painful when you do it like fifty times.
Settyness

Post by Settyness »

I want this so hard.

The pseudo drag-and-drop interface from this game is not very efficient and is more or less and artifact of PC gaming when it was not as competitive and relatively barren. That's not to say the improvements that OpenMW has provided aren't appreciated, indeed OP's suggestions take advantage of them in a way that just makes this feature a no-brainer.

Alchemist characters can be a nightmare when you store all of your ingredients into certain containers, you go to your hold to drop off more, and instead of exiting, you accidentally exit out with confirm (with your last action being take-all instead of close). I love the "last action is confirm key" behavior of OpenMW, but OP's suggestion would help alleviate headaches incurred by the aforementioned mistakes.
i30817

Post by i30817 »

I implemented something like this into exult (ultima 7) a few years back.

I had a ' enable mass move by default ' setting, and if enabled, a simple click took the stack and CTRL+click opened the quantity slider and if disabled vice versa.
The inventory move idea is well thought.