New Font Implementation

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Re: New Font Implementation

Post by psi29a »

hahaha, you're killing it akortunov 8-)
Ravenwing

Post by Ravenwing »

wareya wrote: 18 Jun 2018, 06:39 It's just that OpenMW currently does it at the unscaled resolution then scales them up instead of using the eventual resolution in the first place.
Sorry, meant to imply this, not bash the devs!
psi29a wrote: 18 Jun 2018, 09:29 This should eventually be migrated to our docs section so it can be rendered on RTD. (TODO/HELP)
Already done! http://openmw.readthedocs.io/en/master/ ... /font.html
pvdk wrote: 18 Jun 2018, 09:32 I would really like it if we could just ship the .ttf/otf fonts, and have the user choose between those or bitmap. That way I can use them in the launcher too, for skinning purposes etc. T'was the reason I asked for the Ayembedt font in the first place, have a properly licensed version so we could ship it.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but that's slightly out of scope of what the project wants to do. Obviously this wouldn't be hard, but I feel like we've been trying to stay away from including content with OpenMW (of which I think fonts would be considered).

BUT this brings up an idea I've been thinking more and more about. There will be some things that we really should be recommending people do, such as using these fonts, that are slightly out of scope of the project. It would be nice for users to have a single, well explained "mod" that basically provides these kinds of things to people that we can "unofficially" recommend. I don't want this thread to go off topic, but maybe we can discuss exactly what this would mean on a new thread.
psi29a wrote: 18 Jun 2018, 11:53 hahaha, you're killing it akortunov 8-)
Seriously! :D
Zoran wrote: 18 Jun 2018, 10:35 Thank you very much for your answer. I will try to change the font on my OpenMW installation.
Let us know how it goes and if the docs can be improved in any way!
Thunderforge

Post by Thunderforge »

Ravenwing wrote: 18 Jun 2018, 17:26 Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but that's slightly out of scope of what the project wants to do. Obviously this wouldn't be hard, but I feel like we've been trying to stay away from including content with OpenMW (of which I think fonts would be considered).
If it's just the fonts, I would be in favor of just packaging them in (you could justify it by saying that they are an additional font that the OpenMW engine supports). If we wind up wanting to add all sorts of other Morrowind-specific modifications, then yes, a "recommended mod" or something would be worth pursuing.
Chris

Post by Chris »

A general non-game-specific font could make sense to include, something that looks okay (i.e. readable) regardless of the game and is guaranteed to be there in case something goes wrong with the game-specific fonts. Although I'd avoid things like the Daedric font since they're obviously TES-specific. A mod that includes TES-specific TTF fonts and other such enhancements would be pretty nice, though.
Thunderforge

Post by Thunderforge »

Chris wrote: 18 Jun 2018, 23:58 Although I'd avoid things like the Daedric font since they're obviously TES-specific.
We'll just say that we're including the language of vampires from the TV show Sanctuary! :D

Seriously, episode 3x16 "Awakening" had involved a character translating ancient vampire text that was a completely unaltered Daedric font.
Sanctuary Awakening Vampire Text.png
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

I think a lot of it is upside-down, so it's been altered a little.
Zoran

Post by Zoran »

Just installed Open Sans font in OpenMW. Thank you vary much, I can finally read with ease! :D