Better installation method

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Better installation method

Post by psi29a »

OpenMW has been doing that for years now, at least on Linux and MacOS. Does OpenMW not do that for Windows too?

Update: apparently original poster was a spam-bot...
Sslaxx

Re: Better installation method

Post by Sslaxx »

I dunno about the installers with the original games and modern Windows versions, but if you have the Steam or GOG versions is it really necessary to support installing it from OpenMW?
ladyonthemoon

Post by ladyonthemoon »

Sslaxx wrote: 20 May 2018, 07:58 I dunno about the installers with the original games and modern Windows versions, but if you have the Steam or GOG versions is it really necessary to support installing it from OpenMW?
For the people who do not have the gog or Steam versions, do not want to buy them or already own the game on the original cds, maybe?
Jemolk

Post by Jemolk »

The launcher installation, last I checked, did not work with the GOG version of Morrowind. That was the one version where it didn't work. InnoExtract works pretty well to get the files out of the installer, though, and then you just have to point the launcher to the folder where you stored everything. Don't have to install Morrowind at all. So actually, the GOG version is still probably the most straightforward and easiest to deal with on Linux. :D
Thunderforge

Post by Thunderforge »

Installing from Steam is described on the wiki and can be done on macOS or Linux by tricking the Steam client into downloading it.

Supporting the GOG.com version is currently part of this feature request (which in my opinion is overly broad).
Cammera

Post by Cammera »

GoG installers can be extracted using innoextract, it's included in ubuntu's main repos and for all mayor platforms.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

We accept pull requests, so if anyone would like to put the effort into supporting this install method, we're open to that.

That means adding another 3rd-party library (innoextract).

Update: innoextract seems to be only an executable and not a library like libunshield. There might be more work than expected.

For the time being, if someone would like to update the wiki on how to extract from gog archives, that is also doable.

Another option would be to allow the wizard to run the 3-party executable to extract the files for us. That is also reasonable.
lysol

Post by lysol »

This could be very useful if it's not too bloaty to do. I used innoextract for another gog-game the other day. Works great.