Landmass

OpenMW's very own demo, template and game to show off everything that OpenMW is capable of.

Moderator: Example suite forum moderator

Greendogo

Re: Landmass

Post by Greendogo »

Yes, I believe you are correct, on all points. Sorry I didn't get what you meant to begin with.

So, are you suggesting that we should wait for this functionality in the Editor before proceeding further with the Example Suite? Planning aside, many aspects of the Suite will be shaped by which program we use to create it and I'm alright with halting world creation at this point, since we've barely scratched the surface. Planning and story-boarding on the other hand, would not be affected, nor would the creation of assets such as sound/textures/models.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

I don't think anyone should delay, full steam ahead. :)

We can always add more to the example suite, there is nothing stopping us from doing so. Everything needs a beginning.
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

I don't know that terrain detail is all that important anyway. Morrowind's grid is not very dense... you'll probably only notice fancy terrain from terrain generators if you create huge mountains.
craziwolf

Post by craziwolf »

I have basic knowledge of 3d modeling, needed some 3d renders for a project I did, didn't know anyone who could do it for me so taught myself!

My strength defiantly lye in texturing but I like to try my hand at just about everything.

What type of models are you after at the moment?
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

Well, the only real things we've been asking for so-far, for people to kind of prove themselves capable modelers, are mining implements and some custom ore models, since we can't use Bethesda's.
craziwolf

Post by craziwolf »

Ok then final question then ill model some mining equipment so you can see what I can do.

Whats the poly count we are after and do you want them textured?
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

I'd like their poly count to be small. Definitely less than 500. And the texturing is up to you. You're a texture guy, but if you'd rather not, then that's ok. We're looking for iron and copper ores, if I recall. But if you make the ore model, we can reuse it for whatever type of ore we'd like.

Edit: For any future discussion about modelling and textures, you can post it in the Art Assets thread here: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=969&p=10647
Tarius

Post by Tarius »

With today's computers, you are safe doing a poly count that allows for smoothness without slowing things down. Well obviously this statement doesnt mean much by itself. As a rule of thumb, I just make things smooth enough that on typical viewing, looks fine and you would have to examine close up to see any edges.
However, I am curious about about what is going in the demo that would stress a computer today. Poly counts are only ever a guideline and its more like what range are you ok with versus what might be too much. Still though, counts definitely help figure what is too much.
I think I will stop here before I type several paragraphs on this subject.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

Basically, I'd like it to look better than Morrowind's level of detail, with higher resolution textures.
hircine

Post by hircine »

craziwolf wrote:I have basic knowledge of 3d modeling, needed some 3d renders for a project I did, didn't know anyone who could do it for me so taught myself!

My strength defiantly lye in texturing but I like to try my hand at just about everything.

What type of models are you after at the moment?

Great to see some new peoples! Welcome!

With the mining implements (read around the example suite threads and find details)

I'd like Oblivion level detail. Make it so! :P

I'm not sure how many polygons weapons and other things are in oblivion. but as Greendogo, better than Morrowind is the guide to go by.

(To other things)

Note: News of my death have been greatly exaggerated. Been having issues with my computer (my SSD's keep failing/fucking up). So i haven't yet reinstalled Morrowind/CS. I will get there though.
I'll work on getting back to operating levels this weekend and maybe split up all those files into claims.

Sorry for no progress over the last two months. :oops: