Art assets

OpenMW's very own demo, template and game to show off everything that OpenMW is capable of.

Moderator: Example suite forum moderator

Greendogo

Re: Art assets

Post by Greendogo »

Well, I'm glad you didn't lose too much time. :D

Feel free to commit as much or as little effort to the body/skeleton project as you'd like.
silentthief

Post by silentthief »

wheybags wrote:Mod makers routinely distribute stuff not-quite-legally.
A texture pack that uses modified versions of the original textures is copyright infringement, so is a modified model, and I am reasonably sure, so is a skeleton.
Then the remake called better bodies by psychodogs studios is unusable by that definition, as well?
Faelian wrote:Anyway, to be honest, morrowind REALLY need new skeleton. The old one is just bad and it makes terrible limitations to animations, clothing and body. Apparently, i could do a new body, rig it to a new skeleton and then make animations for it.
Agreed the rigging and look of vanilla MW was bad. The characters all walked around stiff as a board. But the process of making a new skeleton for default openMW distribution is gonna be a pain in the butt. Can't we make it so open MW uses existing models from MW if the user owns the game? I thought we could re-implement as long as we didn't distribute, as in the ability to use art assets made by bethesda as long as we don't try to give them away...?

ST
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

silentthief wrote:Can't we make it so open MW uses existing models from MW if the user owns the game? I thought we could re-implement as long as we didn't distribute, as in the ability to use art assets made by bethesda as long as we don't try to give them away...?
No.

The reason is that the long-term goal of OpenMW is to be usable without Morrowind. That any work in this area needs to be free of IP (copyright) problems. The idea of an 'example-suite' is also to provide a starting point for developers/modders that want to take the OpenMW engine and go further with it without using nor infringing on Bethesda's and Zenimax's IP.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

Bingo.
silentthief

Post by silentthief »

If we come up with a skeleton, complete with rigging and animation; does it have to be converted into NIF/KIF? Reason I ask is as far as I know the only way to do the conversion is through the 3DS max NIF converter (which only worked for max versions 3-5, and the older versions of max now are impossible to find)

ST
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

It doesn't have to be NIF, it can be in Ogre3D's native format too. That is on OpenMW's roadmap.
hircine

Post by hircine »

any chance of using?: http://www.makehuman.org/
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

If we use non-Nif files, Hircine, we're going to need to wait until the OpenCS is done before doing work involving NPCs. That's fine with me. How about you?
hircine

Post by hircine »

Can we not somehow convert these to nif format?
even if we can't, I'm still fine with that. :)

We can still do stuff with NPC's, its just that they won't have a mesh attached :P
and we need to build a library of assets before NPC's are needed.
dinamic

Post by dinamic »

Hi Folks, im pretty new to both morrowind modding and openmw, but would these tools work for converting objects/animations etc from blender to nif ?

http://niftools.sourceforge.net/wiki/NifTools