Art assets

OpenMW's very own demo, template and game to show off everything that OpenMW is capable of.

Moderator: Example suite forum moderator

Greendogo

Re: Art assets

Post by Greendogo »

Ah, Dirnae's animation replacers.

Well, if you'd like to avoid repeating work already done by Dirnae (that you think is toned down enough for our project), you could instead focus on the things that Dirnae doesn't replace. We're going to need all the animations found in Morrowind, Tribunal and Bloodmoon (with the possible exception of werewolf stuff), so there's still a lot of stuff we need done.

If you still want to redo the walking and running stuff that Dirnae already has in his mod, then go ahead, I'll let you judge for yourself what you want to do and how you spend your time.

As long as we have a complete set of animations at the end, I'll be happy.
Berandas

Post by Berandas »

I think we should do some brainstorming first, because I would really like to see awesome animations in OpenMW, but that means hours of work and it would be a real waste of time, if we would need to redo some animations after that.

I would start by looking on other game's animations, how they look, how they work and if they would fit, just have a discussion over each animation.
Faelian wrote:I'll just need to find out how to make 1st person animations, cause i never really worked with them.
it works just as the other ones, there is a whole skeleton for 1st person, the only difference is that it has a camera attached to the head bone and has mesh only for hands, because only those can be visible.

I believe it would be nice if player could see his whole body from first person (legs when looking down, or everything when using some key, as it wokrs in Mount and Blade - this was discussed somewhere elswhere here), but I am not sure if this wouldn't require some additional coding.
Faelian

Post by Faelian »

I'll make new animations from scratch (won't use dirnae's) cause it might be easily noticable they were made by different artists. Right now i'm quite busy, but i think i'll be able to start making them in a few days time.
Also, do you need ALL animations from vanila morrowind? I mean, it's hell a lot of work, and i'm pretty sure some of them won't be necessary.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

Great! Can't wait to see what you can do!

We're only interested in the animations that you would attach to a player or NPC, no creatures. But I'm guessing you already knew that. What animations (other than werewolf stuff) would you think we wouldn't need? Just curious.
Berandas

Post by Berandas »

Greendogo wrote:See, we can't use Bethesda's animations...
And can we use Bethesda's skeletons for creating new animations? Won't there be a problem with this?
Faelian

Post by Faelian »

Berandas wrote:
Greendogo wrote:See, we can't use Bethesda's animations...
And can we use Bethesda's skeletons for creating new animations? Won't there be a problem with this?
Hmm, that's interesting. I think that we can, people uploading any animations mods use original skeleton and no one sees a problem in it, despite original game content cannot be uploaded.

As for the animations, i think there's no need for every idle to be made. All we want is to show what OpenMW can do, so i think that Idle1, Idle2 and maybe Idle3 is enough.

btw i hope that after 1.0 is released there will be possibility to change/add/modify etc existing animation system? For example jumping animation is terrible in Morrowind. Staying/walkinh/running all could use different jumping animation, but i can only make one for Morrowind. So i can make it look really nice while staying, but it will result in weird behavior while moving. And many other moves share this problem so in fact no matter how great animator will hande it, Morrowind's animations will always look unnatural in many ways.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

Ah, idles, yes, you can make just 2 or 3 if you'd like.

I agree, I think we can use the skeleton, as it is in all freely available race mods. But if anyone has a differing opinion on that, or has some insight, let me know.
poVoq

Post by poVoq »

Strickly speaking I would say that is legally not possible, and just because the mods do it and no-one complains it doesn't mean it's ok to do.

What one could probably do so is to use an animation fileformat that seperates animations from the skeleton (unreals psk or md5 for example, .iqm can do that too), and replicate the original rig to use the custom made animations with.
"Clean-room" replicating it, might be a bit tricky though ;)

But IMHO, the Morrowwind rig is probably really basic when it comes to facial animations, fingers etc. so a more andvanced rig would probably better anyways.
Berandas

Post by Berandas »

I believe there is some statement in the license agreement, that all the mods (created in CS?) are property of Bethesda. And this is building or altering of Bethesda's work, thus kinda even more ilegal for us.

I think poVoq is right, we could either build our own identical skeletons from scratch or better invest our time into new animation system completely. But at that point it looks like late post-1.0 feature, since it would require a lot of preparations and it's chained into other aspects of the game.
But we will have to do that sooner or later, so...as I said, we should start thinking it over.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

Well, that's a nuisance, isn't it?

Is there anyway to extract skeleton information from currently available race mods (like those from Westly or Better Bodies) and to create our own? I'm really not that solid on the workings of models when it comes to skeletons and animations.

Otherwise that means we can't use any of the currently available race mods and will need to make, not only the animations, but models not based on Bethesda skeletons.