Demo game data

OpenMW's very own demo, template and game to show off everything that OpenMW is capable of.

Moderator: Example suite forum moderator

AlexanderR

Re: Demo game data

Post by AlexanderR »

Current state of demo? Will it be finished before 0.16?
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

No. When it's done.

Edit: To be more precise, I won't be able to absolutely finish the whole thing until the engine itself is totally done, since the stated goal of the example suite is to test all the features of the engine for all to see easily and for free.

For example, I can't even load multiple esps/esms into the engine right now, so that's one feature that I can't even show off yet. And that feature of OpenMW has been pushed back to later releases several times now.

Edit 2: Tomorrow being the 10th anniversary of Morrowind, I have to wonder if Bethesda will release the game for free making this example suite mostly useless until post-1.0 versions of the engine....
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

I guess I did get some work done today, reskinning some of the menu textures.
ezzetabi

Post by ezzetabi »

Sorry, I am confused. Should not the demo cell allow to test the EXISTING features?
It is piece of the project that should follows the updates....
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

The example suite is going to be designed with the end result in mind, not to follow OpenMW's release schedule. OpenMW is moving much faster now than when the demo cells were first thought up.

It will progress at a pace set by my free-time and inclination to work on it, but fear not, as I have set myself to the task with a plan in mind.

The Example Suite is not part of OpenMW's publicity, per se. Mostly the point of it is so that people curious as to what the engine can do can download it and the Example suite without needing Morrowind at all. Perhaps they want to use the engine to make a total conversion or are simply interested in playing around with the engine. This way they WON'T need to BUY or OWN or INSTALL Morrowind.
ezzetabi

Post by ezzetabi »

Oh, then it is not a test cell. It is...well... a demo cell. :) Got it.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

Ha ha, that would have been way easier to type... demo cell... I over think things too much :D
AlexanderR

Post by AlexanderR »

Greendogo wrote:No. When it's done.

Edit: To be more precise, I won't be able to absolutely finish the whole thing until the engine itself is totally done, since the stated goal of the example suite is to test all the features of the engine for all to see easily and for free.

For example, I can't even load multiple esps/esms into the engine right now, so that's one feature that I can't even show off yet. And that feature of OpenMW has been pushed back to later releases several times now.

Edit 2: Tomorrow being the 10th anniversary of Morrowind, I have to wonder if Bethesda will release the game for free making this example suite mostly useless until post-1.0 versions of the engine....
Good luck with polishing demo :) I am happy that you are so self-confident. Sadly, things that are not shown to anyone tend to be developed endlessly and not being released at all. And just to mention: open source projects are never finished (you probably already know it, right?)
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

Indeed, I agree, open source projects never truly end.

Did some more work on the GUI today. Not happy with the target; the original game's target is so simple it's hard not to copy it outright.
ezzetabi

Post by ezzetabi »

Release soon, release often, never finish.