OpenMW Example Suite 0.18

OpenMW's very own demo, template and game to show off everything that OpenMW is capable of.

Moderator: Example suite forum moderator

DestinedToDie

Re: OpenMW Example Suite 0.18

Post by DestinedToDie »

Bad news - the laptop I bought 4 years ago and have ever since been using to this day just died this morning. What makes this somewhat less devastating is that I took the precaution of occasionally backing up my work, so I lost a few assets but not enough to make me want to hang myself.

I´m looking into getting a replacement hopefully in the near future, possibly building a new rig in DIY style as my budget is very low right now.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

oh shit, you have my condolences!
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

Good news! I just managed to raise my PC back from the dead with some open source software. I thought for sure that my BIOS or something went kaput and replacing parts in a laptop was not at all an appealing idea, but it was instead just windows shitting itself the moment I hit the ON button. Now I'm writing this on MInt Linux. For some reason it kinda doesn't want to recognize my net sometimes. I'll have to see what development options I have on Linux.
raevol

Post by raevol »

Gratz on bringing it back to life, good to hear!
DestinedToDie wrote: 09 Sep 2017, 02:59 it kinda doesn't want to recognize my net sometimes
What do you mean by this? I'm not a Mint officiando so someone else may be able to override what I am about to say, but in my experience it's best to stick with "real" Ubuntu, even if you run a well-supported flavor like Kubuntu or Xubuntu, because the base distro does its best to keep hardware support up-to-date. Of course this may not be the issue at all, in which case I am wasting your time, sorry!
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

Welcome brother. :)

Developing ES via LInux is about as hardcore as you can get. :D
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

More good news. I managed to access the files that were previously trapped in windows hibernation. Assuming they´re not corrupted or anything, there is 0 loss.

As for why I chose Linux Mint, I initially started downloading Ubuntu and got told that it sux and I should instead download Linux Mint. I don´t have any familiarity with them, so I just went with the first recommendation.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Honestly, I'd rather install the Cinnamon desktop environment on stock Ubuntu than use Mint. When my dad decided it was the best thing ever and therefore required me to maintain a couple of installs of it, there were loads of issues that simply wouldn't have happened had he gone for stock Ubuntu. The only major tweak I ever do to Ubuntu is to install ClassicMenu Indicator, which gives you something a bit more like Windows' start menu in addition to the Unity launcher/dock
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

Ubuntu is finally going mainstream, dumping their Unity for Gnome, which is great because I've been using gnome-ubuntu for years now. I've tried other environments and have always come back to either Debian or GUbuntu... hey, guess which distros I help maintain OpenMW packages for? ;)
raevol

Post by raevol »

@DestinedToDie look at this can of worms you opened. :D At least we are pretty civil here, hahaha. At the end of the day use what you like! :)
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

Patron
Dec 12
I've been contributing for a couple of months, but with the lack of updates, I'm not really sure that my money is being put to use. With Patreon changing their fee structure, my contribution now costs me more, and unfortunately that adds up when I contribute to a bunch of projects. Therefore, I'm finding I need to reconsider which projects I want to support.

Could you please tell me more about your future plans for your project, and what my money, small as it is, will be contributing towards?

Thanks,
-Patron
DestinedToDie
Dec 12
Hello Patron.

Unfortunately I've not done as much as I've wanted. I initially planned for small monthly releases, but then went on to a more complex task of making player model/skeleton/animation. It hasn't really helped that during this I scrapped my work and restarted, as well as had multiple periods where I took a break from this task. I think this is what people call development hell? I've had the idea of going back to the monthly content, but one reason I want to get this specific task done beforehand is because the old player model 1st person mode doesn't work on new versions of OpenMW. I don't find it appealing at all to go around in 3rd person, so I really want to address this issue first.

Regarding the money. I realize that I've not had much to show for it in quite a few months as my development has been very slow lately. As such, I'm surprised that my few patreons have been patient enough to keep supporting the Example Suite. If they choose to move on to fund other projects, then I find it completely understandable considering the current state of things. I will eventually make and release content for the monthly donations that I've received so far, so you can look forward to releases even if you choose to opt out on the financial side.

As for future or current plans for the project, After I get the task of making model/skeleton/animations off the way, I feel like I really need to make a weapon/shield and a helm, so I can make sure that they work as intended with the player model. A few months ago I played Darkwood and found its level design inspiring. I want to do something similar with the Deadwood area, which is next in line.

I'm not quite sure on what note to end my reply. I'll try to do some stuff this month, more in January.