OpenMW Example Suite 0.18

OpenMW's very own demo, template and game to show off everything that OpenMW is capable of.

Moderator: Example suite forum moderator

DestinedToDie

OpenMW Example Suite 0.18

Post by DestinedToDie »

My list of stuff:

1. Graveyard fence. DONE
2. Fence post.
3. Grave stone.
4. Grave.
5. Improve trees? Wasn't quite happy with some that I made.

List of stuff available for the taking:

Fort

1. Supply cart for the vendor in the exterior of the fort. I envision this to be made out of stone and have square wheels. See this Mythbusters clip. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIN8Q_4iaxU
2. Extra fort walls. I made some basic straight walls, but we could go the extra mile here and add stuff like 90 degree walls, 135 degree walls.
3. Extra types of towers. However I don't think we need that many until we have extra types of walls and can build a larger and more sophisticated fort/castle.
4. Practice dummies. These could possibly use the hay texture and wood texture from the houses outside the village.

Village

No plans for this right now.

Deadwood

1. More trees. I'm not happy about some of the trees I made, but something in the likes of DeadwoodTreeFull1 would be nice. One important thing to limit is the player/tree creatures getting stuck on branches and the like while maneuvering the area.
2. Tree creature. See DeadwoodTreeTwister for reference. Will probably need to be smaller. The goal is to have it blend in with the other trees so that the player will at some instances be surprise attacked. I also tried something like DeadwoodTreeAngel, but felt that the shape didn't quite feel right.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Re: OpenMW Example Suite 0.18

Post by psi29a »

Square wheels?! Mental!
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

I really don't think a square-wheeled stone cart is a good idea. Making something like that would be a lot of effort compared to wood, and by the time you're going to that kind of effort, rounding off the wheels is really no effort at all.
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

So I have a very simple plan for the development cycle.

1. The lead developer's role is to lay out the framework of the game. For the purpose of making progress, this might be a little ugly and unfinished, but it serves as a bare-bones functional game that you can play, as well as a general means to convey the vision of what we're making.

2. The development in that framework is then opened up for any volunteers. They can look at existing content, get a better idea of what it's supposed to be and start adding detail or complexity, perhaps even improve on existing things that could look and be done better.

Right now I'm the only one working on this. So it's conceivable that eventually I will have laid out all the necessary framework for a small bare-bones game and we haven't really had any or enough developers from number 2 to properly polish the raw content I'm producing with number 1. In that case I'll just switch to working on 2 myself until we are far enough with it to consider continuing with post 1.0 development ideas with number 1.
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

AnyOldName3 wrote:I really don't think a square-wheeled stone cart is a good idea. Making something like that would be a lot of effort compared to wood, and by the time you're going to that kind of effort, rounding off the wheels is really no effort at all.
I agree that it's not practical, but it is possible... if you go fast enough.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Stone's heavy. If the cart is stone, it's not going to be going fast.
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

I've been working on an NPC/player model last month, tinkering with it a few steps every so often. It's not complete nor presentable yet, but I'm rolling up my sleeves to finish it up this month.
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

Is this based of new work or moon-boy? :)
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

Something between moon-boy and the MakeHuman model we currently have.
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

Awesome, do we need help from someone to do some hair? I'm sure we can get someone to do that under CC-BY-SA...