OpenMW Example Suite 0.14

OpenMW's very own demo, template and game to show off everything that OpenMW is capable of.

Moderator: Example suite forum moderator

DestinedToDie

OpenMW Example Suite 0.14

Post by DestinedToDie »

Time to write some plans for the next release. Roadmap here: https://bugs.openmw.org/projects/examplesuite/roadmap

I want to make a door so that we can transition between the towers. Currently you have to tcl to move onto another section of the wall because towers block your way. It seems like we don´t have a doormarker in OpenMW-CS yet, so doors will probably be non-functional for some time. We could instead have it listed as an activator and use a script to teleport the player from place to place. Making a door includes the door itself + entrance to the door, so that´s 2 meshes.

After we have that, I want to look a bit into character animation. I don´t know if we´ll make any fast progress here, but I´m hoping we´ll have at least a few things sorted out.

If anyone feels like it, it´s time to color the region map. https://bugs.openmw.org/issues/3208 We now have a separate ExampleSuite.omwaddon so we won´t lose the region map every time we progress in version number.

We got some crates. https://bugs.openmw.org/issues/3460 Unfortunately untested if the .osgt files work ingame. Someone has to review these and fix any problems that might arise.

As usual, there are a few things on the roadmap to pick up if you guys want to make something. And if there´s something you want to do that´s not on the roadmap, you can add it yourself.
GeorgeTheWarp

Re: OpenMW Example Suite 0.14

Post by GeorgeTheWarp »

I think we should focus the 0.14 release on weapons. Myself finally getting my computer (FINALLY.), I'll be able to make a dozen of them, and will work during the night to assure the quality and quantity of them. I am thinking that because of the showcase opportunity it gives, but also because we could give them away to modders.

As such, I am thinking we should switch the license of all the weapons of the 0.14 release as CC-BY, it would permit modders to use our assets so long as we are credited, and it would also permit mixing them with proprietary assets so long as we are added to the credit. Since I will be making a part of them, I am reserving to myself the exclusive right to license them as CC-BY, and I would like that we'd agree on setting the release on weapons for this version as CC-BY.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

The main justification for making the ES CC-By-SA is that people aren't willing to create assets with generous licences. There's no reason why you couldn't make resources and licence them with a more permissive compatible licence, but if we were to say that all weapons were CC-By, we'd potentially be losing out on even more potential talent. Even if you produce the best assets ever seen, you could disappear at a point where we needed a specific weapon.

All that said, it's probably best to get an opinion from DestinedToDie or Psi before taking what I say as gospel. Also, good on you for supporting open licences. :D
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

You're the creator so it is your copyright to do with as you please. :)

If you would like to release as CC-BY, please do since it is 'free-er' license than CC-BY-SA, but still compatible with with CC-BY-SA in that when mixed together with others, the whole work (Example-Suite) is CC-BY-SA but the individual pieces are their respective licenses.

We're more than happy to accept any asset that is at least CC-BY-SA, it may be under a free-er license too. That is up to the creator of the content.
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

Already said this in chat, but if you´re going to make CC-BY licensed stuff, make sure to mention it every time on the bugtracker so that the licenses of various assets are easier to tell apart. If nothing is said, it´ll be defaulted to CC-BY-SA.
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

Hey guys. Me and Methelina have been talking about a collaboration in the Example Suite. Her team was making models for a Skyrim mod, which unfortunately did not go off. They were making a horror quest, the details of which you can read here.

As soon as she uploads the assets to redmine, I´m going to look into converting them to .nif/.osgt. We can then also make a list of what we have and what we are missing and start with some of the implementation.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

That's pretty awesome actually. :)
Methelina

Post by Methelina »

DestinedToDie wrote:Hey guys. Me and Methelina have been talking about a collaboration in the Example Suite. Her team was making models for a Skyrim mod, which unfortunately did not go off. They were making a horror quest, the details of which you can read here.

As soon as she uploads the assets to redmine, I´m going to look into converting them to .nif/.osgt. We can then also make a list of what we have and what we are missing and start with some of the implementation.
Not team, i made'em XD
Anyways yeah need to transfer some models... But they want to be rigged and animated XD

Some tips to make a kickass anims:
Retargeting anims to the existing rigs from MoCaption data (.BVH) made from Endorphin
1. Blender Tutorial Importing Motion Capture Data (.bvh) Files and Setting Up a Simple Rig Part 1
2. Blender Motion Capture Addon - Tutorial 1 - Basic Retargeting
MiroslavXO

Post by MiroslavXO »

So did you guys figure out how the game is reading new stuff?
When I rig and animate my character the game was unable to play the stuff I did.

If you have new character assets with proper skeleton setup I can rig it, if you don't have a rigger yet.
Methelina

Post by Methelina »

MiroslavXO wrote:So did you guys figure out how the game is reading new stuff?
When I rig and animate my character the game was unable to play the stuff I did.

If you have new character assets with proper skeleton setup I can rig it, if you don't have a rigger yet.
Nice it will be pretty nice and helpfull. Can u make a skeleton too?