OpenMW Example Suite 0.13

OpenMW's very own demo, template and game to show off everything that OpenMW is capable of.

Moderator: Example suite forum moderator

raevol

Re: OpenMW Example Suite 0.13

Post by raevol »

Do we have a central place where everything that's been agreed upon so far is saved? I've worked up the interest in doing some writing for this, but I want know where I'd be starting from.
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

See here: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3380

World´s End. I retconned there being jungles. Instead of topical we have a medieval theme. However pretty much everything else stands. It´s very open ended. You could go with medieval game or even psychiatry ward (mix of multiple themes) route with this.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Just throwing this out there...

a small twist, the journal is really your journal but written by someone (you) who has taken their meds. The Island/medieval world that you see in ES is your fantasy and you're trying to figure something out for yourself. In reality (meta-game), you're wondering around the psyche-ward.
GeorgeTheWarp

Post by GeorgeTheWarp »

psi29a wrote:Just throwing this out there...

a small twist, the journal is really your journal but written by someone (you) who has taken their meds. The Island/medieval world that you see in ES is your fantasy and you're trying to figure something out for yourself. In reality (meta-game), you're wondering around the psyche-ward.
Well that isn't too bad.

But rather than a psyche ward, why couldn't it be a little girl that have been given candies by an old man? Surely we'll remember the creepy 80s games this way. (Thanks Reagan)

All joking aside, if the psyche ward is actually a meta game, I can't disagree with it, if at all, as it'd permit to further personal goal whilst helping the ES at once.

EDIT: Having seen the goals of World's End tho, it might be interesting to finish it. Either ways, my barrel and boat will be able to be used for this project, but I'm waiting for Destined2Die's veto on this.
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

GeorgeTheWarp wrote:I'm waiting for Destined2Die's veto on this.
I give my thumbs up on the psyche ward idea, I think it allows for great satire while providing some of the variety JohnD wanted. I plan to work on the medieval side of meshes tho.
johndh

Post by johndh »

GeorgeTheWarp wrote: Hey, JohnDH, I find it funny you complain about the progress of the ES while you didn't do anything to help for a while.
I find it funny how nobody starting off with "I find it funny" actually means that. ;) I contributed the humanoid rig and a detailed and articulated human model. That obviously doesn't entitle me to anything, and all ideas stand or fall on their own merits, but considering the size of the ES, that's a nontrivial chunk of the actual content so far. Whether or not you use anything I've contributed is no concern of mine, because the Example Suite isn't something I plan on using, so I have no stock in how it gets done. Besides, I don't recall ever mentioning the progress, so I don't quite know what you mean.
Everyone has ideas man, but if we find your idea shit, we won't help you on realising, alright?
Right, obviously. Every engine demo I've ever seen has tried to show off the biggest gameplay variety possible because that's what entices potential developers, and with a little creative scripting you might be amazed at what an engine can do that it wasn't strictly designed for. If I were a developer who wanted to make a game that had hack-and-slash RPG mechanics but also a sort of acrobatic feel to it, seeing that in the ES would get my attention. If you think your way is better, that's your prerogative. It's not my loss or gain regardless of how you want to do the thing.
I'm not doing anything to help you.
:roll: I'm not proposing these ideas for my benefit, so you wouldn't be helping me or harming me anyway. I'm not a user of the Example Suite, and I don't particularly plan to be. If something that I contribute helps you in some way, good. If not, oh well. When I get around to making more assets, I might even be bothered to make some that fit your needs. If any of this helps anyone, it's you not me.
3 changes of theme in less than a month is too much
Can't blame me for that. :P
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

johndh wrote:
Everyone has ideas man, but if we find your idea shit, we won't help you on realising, alright?
Right, obviously. Every engine demo I've ever seen has tried to show off the biggest gameplay variety possible because that's what entices potential developers, and with a little creative scripting you might be amazed at what an engine can do that it wasn't strictly designed for. If I were a developer who wanted to make a game that had hack-and-slash RPG mechanics but also a sort of acrobatic feel to it, seeing that in the ES would get my attention. If you think your way is better, that's your prerogative. It's not my loss or gain regardless of how you want to do the thing.
You're absolutely right. We are ham-strung in what we can do with the engine. Whatever we do with the ES, it will always have RPG elements. In theory, we could make a racing game... you as the rider/driver. It would be a bit of work on the animation and modeling side (mountable horse) and might even require some code changes. Scrawl has experience there. ;) End result is a versatile game-engine with RPG elements.

I would love nothing more to demo as much of what OpenMW is capable of even if it is outside the scope of Morrowind/Fantasy/Medieval world. :)

This will come in time, but we are losing focus on getting at least the core up and running.

That being said, people will work on what they want to work on. If it demos OpenMW in a new way, we should add it. That is the essence of the ES.

What do you guys say?
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

psi29a wrote:I would love nothing more to demo as much of what OpenMW is capable of even if it is outside the scope of Morrowind/Fantasy/Medieval world. :)

That being said, people will work on what they want to work on. If it demos OpenMW in a new way, we should add it. That is the essence of the ES.

What do you guys say?
Sure. I think there´s some groundwork to be done on the engine side before we can branch off to other opportunities, but when the capability is there, we can think of demoing it.
silentthief

Post by silentthief »

DestinedToDie wrote: By the way. Progress on the castle https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-zbPKFi5fY
That looks really awesome. Is this a solid piece or are you able to get in it and look through the windows that you see in the... (I want to say tower, the part in the center that sticks out, but unsure if that is correct term)?

looking forward to more of this

Also, what is that music track?

ST
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

I like to use Myuu´s music. You can find him on Youtube.

It´s a solid piece.

Pieces that contain both outside and inside in the same exterior are generally a bad idea. You can´t see inside them when you´re trying to add furniture/whatever it is you want to add, sunlight damage (from vampirism, etc) is still applied despite being "inside" a building and overall it would just tax your system resources more to have outside + inside in 1 exterior cell.

That being said, I would like some ruined houses and maybe some ruined towers that would be inside + outside in exterior.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... _24016.jpg

http://www.coolminiornot.com/pics/pics1 ... b1fe67.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7181/6906 ... 8086fd.jpg