OpenMW Example Suite 0.12

OpenMW's very own demo, template and game to show off everything that OpenMW is capable of.

Moderator: Example suite forum moderator

johndh

Re: OpenMW Example Suite 0.12

Post by johndh »

DestinedToDie wrote:Please do upload it so I can examine.
Done. They're attached to the relevant task tickets #3185 and #3186.
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

Seems like it has some animations. Did you try it ingame to see how it moves?

I think the problem with slotting individual pieces of the body is that they will not be connected. This means you will have to make a dollish model like Bethesda did in Morrowind, where the bodyparts are somewhat inside of eachother. Seems like that´s what you did here, however I have a way better idea.

Your skeleton and the bodypart cubes are also connected in a different way than they´re supposed to... no idea if it makes a difference.

Instead of making a doll, have the character body in one piece, with 'head' as mesh name so that the head shows up in race selection menu. This way the whole body is in 1 piece. Slotting only makes sense in weapon, shield and armor, where the pieces truly are separate.
johndh

Post by johndh »

DestinedToDie wrote:Seems like it has some animations. Did you try it ingame to see how it moves?
The rig was adapted from Moonboy, so they are your animations with different proportions... so they "work" but are unsightly, and of course some animations need to be added, like drawing a weapon and casting a spell.
Your skeleton and the bodypart cubes are also connected in a different way than they´re supposed to... no idea if it makes a difference.
I don't know what you mean, but I've swapped out body parts and it works just fine. The only part that looks weird is the neck.
Instead of making a doll, have the character body in one piece, with 'head' as mesh name so that the head shows up in race selection menu. This way the whole body is in 1 piece. Slotting only makes sense in weapon, shield and armor, where the pieces truly are separate.
I don't think you'd actually be able to equip any sort of outfits that way, unless you have the entire outfit as one piece of equipment (e.g. "plate armor set", "fancy gentleman's clothes", "street punk clothes", etc.). Even a robe is separate from shoes in MW. If you want a shirt and trousers as two separate items, I think it has to be done this way until some de-hardcoding happens. Correct me if I'm wrong.
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

johndh wrote:I don't think you'd actually be able to equip any sort of outfits that way, unless you have the entire outfit as one piece of equipment (e.g. "plate armor set", "fancy gentleman's clothes", "street punk clothes", etc.). Even a robe is separate from shoes in MW. If you want a shirt and trousers as two separate items, I think it has to be done this way until some de-hardcoding happens. Correct me if I'm wrong.
No, I think you just misunderstood. There are 2 ways to equip bodyparts. 1 is rigging, the other is slotting.

I would rig the entire body in 1 piece and name it Tri Head. Any armor/shield/weapon can still be slotted. If you look at Better Bodies mod, that also uses rigging instead of slotting, as well as having the whole thing in 1 piece, albeit using a clever trick to divide it by materials when you export to nif. It retains the rigging behavior and so you don´t need to piece together amputated bodyparts.
johndh

Post by johndh »

I have no idea what you're talking about, but by all means go for it if it will work. :)
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

Don´t know if it will work. I´m pretty uncertain about some things. But we have the BetterBodies example of doing it way better than vanilla Morrowind did, so I´m going to try.

Also should I go quiet and disappear, you forgot to rig Tri Weapon to Weapon Bone. Currently moving weapon bone doesn´t move anything.
johndh

Post by johndh »

DestinedToDie wrote: Also should I go quiet and disappear, you forgot to rig Tri Weapon to Weapon Bone. Currently moving weapon bone doesn´t move anything.
Well, I've been told that getting old versions of Blender to run on my machine is a nigh-impossible task, so feel free to change/fix whatever you need/want to, because I'm not going to be able to. I can still do modeling, since newer versions run, but exporting rigs and animations isn't going to work for me any time soon (unless the script gets updated or we get support for another format).
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

Anyone feel like texturing? We got a weapon submission, which I´m going to need when making attack animation. However it´s untextured, and I´d hate to package it into the Example Suite at that state.

https://bugs.openmw.org/issues/3323#change-15621
lysol

Post by lysol »

Is it unwrapped? If yes, I'll texture it tomorrow.
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

I made an unwrap. Admittedly, I am pretty bad at unwrapping, so please excuse my mess.