Proposal for getting this project done

OpenMW's very own demo, template and game to show off everything that OpenMW is capable of.

Moderator: Example suite forum moderator

DosBuster

Proposal for getting this project done

Post by DosBuster »

So, I figured since I don't really see any obvious leader I figured I'd post up my proposal for how I think this example suite can become a reality.

There is currently too much focus on asset creation.

The creation of assets--while important--can be delayed by using assets from either Morrowind or even other games entirely. This is not uncommon during the prototype phase. We may not have artists, but we have skilled programmers in this community. In order to utilize this at its best effort we need to figure out what we're making and how to organize it in such a way that we don't waste code. In my last open source project we wasted so much code because we had no idea what the fuck we were making.

This project needs to have a firm chain of command established now.

Sorry, but open source game development only works in the vein of building an engine, open source design is a nightmare I do not wish to experience again. We need someone who can overrule an entire community and make a final decision, it doesn't matter if people think that decision is wrong, a Director says yes, it's final. Leadership is essential to a project's survival, sorry if this sounds too authoritarian to you, but this is the reality of getting a game made.

Stemming from this, I propose an initial set of Director positions to being the process of early organization:

Technical Director
In charge of handling code merges, UML design and determining the skill level of other programmers who are interested in in joining the project. Preferably this would be someone who has already contributed much to development of the Engine, but if you show that you're an experienced C++ programmer who has samples that show off knowledge in Graphics, Systems (Physics, Audio, Memory handling/Garbage Collection etc.) and Gameplay programming then this is for you.

Production Director
The Production Director will make sure things get done, they will use tools like Microsoft Excel and control the tasklist and take pressure off the developers to focus solely on completing their tasks. This will require basic understanding of programming, art & game design, you don't have to be good you just need to have an idea of how much work goes into each element.

Art Director
Defines things like general style, poly limit and what assets are required. Requires knowledge in either 3ds max, Maya or Blender.

So, now I ask you the community, to decide if you want to go down this route. If not, that's fine, I understand. And if the general opinion is positive as soon as at least the Production & Technical Director roles are filled a meeting will be held where the three of us discuss & come out with an idea of what exactly it is we need to get gameplay working as fast as possible.
DestinedToDie

Re: Proposal for getting this project done

Post by DestinedToDie »

Nice, was waiting for someone to take charge. Let´s see where this goes.

Btw. If you decide to use placeholder assets, then I highly suggest you use ones from here viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3520 and not from Morrowind because Bethesda will very likely file a DMCA claim and force the project to stop. They are watching OpenMW with a close eye and we have have already had contact with them on other subjects.
DosBuster

Post by DosBuster »

DestinedToDie wrote:Nice, was waiting for someone to take charge. Let´s see where this goes.

Btw. If you decide to use placeholder assets, then I highly suggest you use ones from here viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3520 and not from Morrowind because Bethesda will very likely file a DMCA claim and force the project to stop. They are watching OpenMW with a close eye and we have have already had contact with them on other subjects.
I'll send them an email, get a confirmation on that.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Confirmation of what? That you can't use their assets? Just don't. :)

You can read about our conversations with Bethesda in the wiki.
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

psi29a wrote:Confirmation of what? That you can't use their assets? Just don't. :)
+1, let´s avoid legal complications. Besides, this project is under a CC-BY-3.0 license and Morrowind assets are not compatible with that.

Here are the Bethesda conversations, for easy access - https://wiki.openmw.org/index.php?title=Bethesda_Emails
lysol

Post by lysol »

+2. Shortcut to getting sued IMO.
tetramir

Post by tetramir »

I was wondering, have you guys been in contact with the skywind team. Considering all the work they put into making new assets they might not really want to share them but who knows?
Maybe you could benefit of their work too get a more standalony version of openmw.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

As their assets are based on Morrowind's, Bethesda probably have enough of a claim on them to prevent them being released as CC-BY 3, which is what the ES requires. However, it'd probably be good to get those assets ported to OpenMW's native format anyway, as that'd give a good mod for playing Morrowind with OpenMW.
johndh

Post by johndh »

I'm certainly in favor of having more direction on this probject, but are there enough people working on this to warrant more than one management position? This sounds a little like the army of Oz. :P
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

tetramir wrote:I was wondering, have you guys been in contact with the skywind team. Considering all the work they put into making new assets they might not really want to share them but who knows?
Maybe you could benefit of their work too get a more standalony version of openmw.
Skywind assets are inspired and derived directly from Morrowind, which as you know is owned by Bethesda. Using those models would be legally sketchy if you ask me.