Asset copyright clarity

OpenMW's very own demo, template and game to show off everything that OpenMW is capable of.

Moderator: Example suite forum moderator

DestinedToDie

Re: Asset copyright clarity

Post by DestinedToDie »

CC-BY-SA would stop me from adding my NPC animations, as from what I understand, my further work on it which I would use in my own game would also have to be licensed as SA. So maybe we´ll go with what JohnD is making instead?

On the other hand, I can see how CC-BY-SA license makes some very good sense in a project such as this. I can see us switching from CC-BY-3.0 to CC-BY-SA.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

What license would work best for you that is also DFSG compatible?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debian_Fr ... Guidelines
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

I would say CC-BY-3.0. We could potentially make a mix of CC-BY-3.0 and CC-BY-SA-3.0. I´d be down with that, so long as we document what is what before releases.
K0kt409P

Post by K0kt409P »

DestinedToDie wrote:CC-BY-SA would stop me from adding my NPC animations, as from what I understand, my further work on it which I would use in my own game would also have to be licensed as SA. So maybe we´ll go with what JohnD is making instead?

On the other hand, I can see how CC-BY-SA license makes some very good sense in a project such as this. I can see us switching from CC-BY-3.0 to CC-BY-SA.
As the author you have absolute control over how you license your own work. Licensing your animations as CC-BY-SA does not force you to release any future modifications to the animations as CC-BY-SA, it only forces others to do so. Thus, the animations could be CC-BY-SA in the ES and simultaneously use a proprietary license in your own game.

However, if someone makes a modification to your CC-BY-SA-licenced animation and you make then make further changes to that, you are required to keep it as CC-BY-SA since it is no longer wholly your own work.
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

Ah, I see. If it is indeed so, then I am absolutely fine with CC-BY-SA.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

\o/

K0kt409P is absolutely right. You're the author, you can change the license to whatever you want, whenever you want, but it then becomes a new 'instance' of that work. The other works remain though in the original license.

This works the same way with code as well when projects switch licenses. The original licensed code is the same, but the new 'fork' has another license.

I'm glad we're making headway here. Rather now than later down the line with arm-chair lawyers and.. .well, real ones. :/
maqifrnswa

Post by maqifrnswa »

DestinedToDie wrote:Never heard of any plans to use Morrowind graphic mods. We will not use them.

To address your question of Morrowind mods - they are not free. Bethesda owns them according to the EULA that you agree to when installing the Construction Set. Even your Scamp is owned by Bethesda due to it being a derivative of their work. You are still the author of it, of course, and own it and at the same time do not, it´s Bethesda´s intellectual property.
legalese technicality: the scamp someone makes based on Bethesda's isn't Bethesda's IP, it is the modder's. Bethesda owns the original Scamp, and the modifier owns the modified Scamp. However, in order for the modder to have permission from Bethesda to modify and distribute the scamp in the first place, the modifier is required to grant a license to Bethesda so they can use the derivative art work how ever Bethesda wants.

The chain is this:
Bethesda owns the Scamp and grants us a license to modify and distribute the scamp as long as the we, the modders:
-only use the modified scamp in morrowind (no other bethesda or other game)
-grant back a license back to Bethesda that allows Bethesda to use our modified scamp how ever Bethesda wants (i.e., Bethesda can sell your artwork, and they don't have to give you royalties)

So, in the end, the modder owns his/her work but Bethesda can use it however they wish.