Art style

OpenMW's very own demo, template and game to show off everything that OpenMW is capable of.

Moderator: Example suite forum moderator

ElderTroll

Art style

Post by ElderTroll »

This may sound like blasphemy, but I think it would be cool if the Example Suite was officially (or later modded) to have a different art direction than the gritty/medieval fantasy style of Morrowind/many RPGs.

Recently I was looking at emutalk high resolution projects, particularly Djipi's Majora's Mask cel shaded project https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Bt2IOoQnC4. Remember this is an n64 game. Not sure if he copied some of those textures from windwaker, but he must have created most himself. I think it would be really interesting to see a Morrowind mod with someone with Djipi's skills doing the artwork.
Greendogo

Re: Art style

Post by Greendogo »

Sorry, no, this would add a lot of unnecessary work. We are going to use mainly assets that are already available in the Morrowind modding community, and try and get by as much as possible without needing additional assets created.

Obviously, though, we'll need to add some things to demonstrate the advanced graphical capabilities of OpenMW once those features are easy to access and manipulate. Texture shaders come to mind (bump mapping, etc).

So yeah, I suppose we'll be doing some stuff, but the majority of assets will fit in with what we'll be starting with.

Although, we are going to use some rather nice buildings, so maybe those will be more to your liking when you see them.
Necrod

Post by Necrod »

Greendogo wrote: Obviously, though, we'll need to add some things to demonstrate the advanced graphical capabilities of OpenMW once those features are easy to access and manipulate. Texture shaders come to mind (bump mapping, etc).

You should also use the best models you can find. Lot of people out there still don't know what engine actually is, and that the models and their poly count has nothing to do with the engine. They don't understand if you were to put Morrowind models into Cryengine 3 it would look the same.

@troll I actually like cel-shaded games like Borderlands, but a LOT gamers don't get it. I have like 5 friends that didn't want to play Borderlands because it looked "childish" to them because of the graphics. And they even dare to call it "bad" graphics, not understanding it's intended to be that style.
Tarius

Post by Tarius »

Necrod wrote:@troll I actually like cel-shaded games like Borderlands, but a LOT gamers don't get it. I have like 5 friends that didn't want to play Borderlands because it looked "childish" to them because of the graphics. And they even dare to call it "bad" graphics, not understanding it's intended to be that style.
I have known that cell-shading is basically a type of art style, but never cared for it too much.