OpenMW Example Suite 0.12 released!

OpenMW's very own demo, template and game to show off everything that OpenMW is capable of.

Moderator: Example suite forum moderator

DestinedToDie

Re: OpenMW Example Suite 0.12 released!

Post by DestinedToDie »

psi29a wrote:Can we fit a castle or fort (wooden) on the Island? ;)
Possibly. It might get restricted by the mountains. How about I actually make a castlle and see if I can comfortably fit it on the island?

The thing I really want to get away from is the beach, sand and tropical trees.
psi29a wrote:I originally wanted an medieval town (fisher village) on the island if that counted.
What do you think about a castle by the sea with half-sunken ruins on the water side? And tiny wooden bridges connecting the surface of sunken ruins.
GeorgeTheWarp wrote:@DestinedToDie: Your body model is waaaaay too high poly. It's a pain to work with. I'm not saying we should go for ultra low poly, but maybe just a balanced. I mean, 30000 tris is a bit overkill for a simple body model. Oblivion had 10 000, and the best oblivion high poly model ranged from 20 000 tris to 30 000 tris (30 000 tris being /a lot/).

What I mean is: The ankles are such a pain to fit to.
I know in another thread you said models are easy to make. Well, they aren´t always, nor are they supposed to. I don´t want to throw away a high quality model just because it´s hard to make pants for it. :D Besides, this is not a simple body model. This is the character model the player will be playing with. Those are usually higher-poly than creature models.

Oblivion is a 2005 game, 11 years old. Of course the tricount is low by comparing it to a model meant for modern games. Let me tell you - the character model doesn´t even qualify as high poly by today´s standards.

We are keeping it. That said, you are free to make a model with lower tricount as an alternate race to play.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

CBBE, which is higher poly than Fallout 4's vanilla body, only has 20K triangles. Then again, Bethesda's vanilla bodies aren't necessarily the best to compare against, and CBBE could be way lower poly than your average AAA game's.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

DestinedToDie wrote:
psi29a wrote:I originally wanted an medieval town (fisher village) on the island if that counted.
What do you think about a castle by the sea with half-sunken ruins on the water side? And tiny wooden bridges connecting the surface of sunken ruins.
That was the question in the beginning, tropical or temperate.

I think half-sunken ruins is great which would give it the whole 'sunken empire' feel. It is re-purposed by others. Maybe it is one of your quest lines to explore and re-claim. The under-water dome idea I had before for example could be apart of this.

I still think an inhabited town or village (with your typical german kitsch stylings) is a good idea. It obviously sprung up after the island has 'sunken' with no one really doing anything about the castle and ruins, preferring to leave them be.