OpenMW Example Suite - Active Development Notice

OpenMW's very own demo, template and game to show off everything that OpenMW is capable of.

Moderator: Example suite forum moderator

psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Re: OpenMW Example Suite - Active Development Notice

Post by psi29a »

Great questions:

Anything having to do with the worldspace, scripts, objects can be contributed as .omwaddons. They can be tested and reviewed. Once finished it can be merged into the .omwgame file.

That is the workflow I imagined. For now, having everything as .omwaddons is good enough. :)

As for the story, if you want to help, great!

My idea was that if we are on an Island, we have to figure out a plausible reason. Shipwrecked, amnesia, looking through wreckage for hints of himself... food bits, knife, clothes. A journal could be beside the player, big and obvious... this starts the quest chain treasure hunt to look for stuff about how you came on the island and about yourself.

Each step of the way onto the Island reveals more about yourself and your past and what happened to the crew. From there... it is open to whatever we want, a port town further up the coast and/or ruins to explore, perhaps the Island is just a small bit of something bigger that we can tap into later?

At some point, the example-suite will likely be renamed. :) It will however always be a demonstration of what you can do with OpenMW and OpenMW-CS... so please, pile on the eye-candy! :D

The forum is fine for keeping context across time-zones. People can't always be on IRC at the same time. Redmine is the tracker so that people can see who is working on what and if they can work on something that no one else is working on.

At this point, we urgently need a fully rigged and animated 'body' in NIF. We currently have moon-boy which allows us to work, but it isn't long term.
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

psi29a wrote:At this point, we urgently need a fully rigged and animated 'body' in NIF. We currently have moon-boy which allows us to work, but it isn't long term.
Why urgently? While Moon-boy is incapable of fighting, the job of building the exteriors and interiors can still be done ahead of animating a skeleton. You will later want to revamp the combat animations anyway to adjust to improved combat mechanics post 1.0. (Not only that, if we wait for .osgt animation support, we can easily use existing animated skeletons from opengameart.org)
psi29a wrote:At some point, the example-suite will likely be renamed. :) It will however always be a demonstration of what you can do with OpenMW and OpenMW-CS... so please, pile on the eye-candy! :D
Perhaps rather than a randomly crafted storyline, it could be a deliberate pathway to show mechanics and possibilities of the OpenMW engine one by one? For example, rather than sending the player into a cave as part of a quest just because, you would send the player into a dark cave to demonstrate how different equip-able light sources such as torches/lanterns/candles/night eye spell effect work. The cave has water sections explicitly to show the mechanic of a torch going out when you jump into water.

So instead of the starting point being "the player has amnesia", the starting point would be "How do I show off this page mechanic I´ve got? I know. We´ll let him have amnesia and collect ripped out journal pages containing his past." This would mean our first discussion wouldn´t be about storyline. It would be which mechanics we want to show, and making a list of them. Start by sorting out the features from completed versions of the roadmap:

https://bugs.openmw.org/projects/openmw/roadmap

Feature #10: Journal
Feature #79: MessageBox
Feature#...
Feature #295: Class creation dialogs tooltips

Rearranged:

Feature #79: MessageBox - Explaining to the player how to WASD move around. Space to activate, etc.
Feature #10: Journal - Activate a page with space. Upon reading this page, player gets a Journal message. Messagebox J to view Journal.
Feature #295: Class creation dialogs tooltips - Player discovers his identity through reading Journal entries and goes through the process of race/class/birthsign creation.

However not being much of a contributor, I´ll let the real contributors decide which approach they want to take.
Last edited by DestinedToDie on 13 Jan 2016, 11:44, edited 1 time in total.
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

That was actually the idea behind the amnesia story with a journal as the starting point. Breadcrumbs that lead the player into a cave for example to retrieve something hinted at in the journal... all the while showing off parts of the engine.

Combat needn't be necessary in the beginning, and we can move forward with Moonboy. There are other things we need as well. We can't wait too long for osg animation, when (and if) it comes, sorry, I don't share your optimism and waiting just delays us even more. We can always port the NIF forward to OSG when necessary, I would consider this a requirement for OSG format support is the ability to port NIFs to this new format. Keep in mind, OSG doesn't have a native animation format... it will need to be built, from scratch and everything that entails. Until that point, we are dealing with NIFs for animation and any other support format for statics.
johndh

Post by johndh »

As far as creating photorealistic human models and rigs, MakeHuman comes with (as far as I can tell) a good enough rig for our purposes, and making various characters is a breeze. It also works with mocap files, which are readily available on the web. As far as elevation maps, the USGS has plenty that are free for the taking, but I have no idea what format they need to be in or how they need to be implemented.

You can pencil me in for props and prose.
Attachments
grab_2016-01-13_21.41.29.png
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

I already have experience with terrain and have looking at various DEMs. I know almost all the formats and how to work with them as well. ;)

For example, Oahu in OpenMW.

My weak point (almost non existent) is modeling. I just can't (ability) do this. :)
Attachments
screenshot019.png
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

No toes stepped on. Go for it! I intend to help out later, but I'm busy with work and school at the moment and have no computer to develop on.
johndh

Post by johndh »

Is there a current-ish list of what assets are needed? I can get started as soon as somebody gives me something to do.
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

johndh wrote:Is there a current-ish list of what assets are needed? I can get started as soon as somebody gives me something to do.
What can you do? :)

Modeling? Animation? Texturing? Story?

I'm currently dealing with OpenMW 0.38, but once that is out the door I can refocus on OpenMW-ES.
johndh

Post by johndh »

psi29a wrote: What can you do? :)

Modeling? Animation? Texturing? Story?
I can't texture worth a tinker's damn, but I can do some modelling, some animation, and writing.
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

Of the top of my head, I would love to see a few things to get started:

Models I want to see:
1) Journal (dog-eared and weathered)
2) Pages from journal, water stained and slightly torn.
3) camp-fire, smoldering (thin wispy smoke particles)
4) camp-fire, alite/burning with soft/flickering light source and smoke particles

This is just to start off with, but should get the ball moving in the ship-wreck/amnesia scenario.

I'll add these to the tracker and posted here below soon.

I'm trying to figure out what kind of locale... tropical (palm trees and coconuts ala Lost) or sub-tropical (American North-West coastline) or something more Fjord like in Norway? Anyone have any preference? :)