OpenMW Example Suite - Active Development Notice

OpenMW's very own demo, template and game to show off everything that OpenMW is capable of.

Moderator: Example suite forum moderator

onionland

Re: OpenMW Example Suite - Active Development Notice

Post by onionland »

I agree with Zini that the area is much too large for the Example Suite, with the exception of trimming the size down I believe that the best approach may be to just focus on fully developing some areas at the time.

If there is enough low skilled volunteers then placing rocks and vegetation may be a good starting task, but if that is not the case then most of the island should probably just be ignored so that focus can be put towards developing a small area into a playable state.
Zini

Post by Zini »

lysol wrote:
Zini wrote: Just a warning. That sounds pretty big, even if a lot of it is water. Developing a single cell properly takes hours, at least with TES-CS. OpenMW-CS should allow quicker progress, but you are still looking at a very large amount of work.
Would it be possible (of course it's possible, but I mean more like: is there any interest in/is it "not that hard") to add functions to "paint" trees and bushes, for example? Like, you select a certain area that you want to define as a forest, for example, and the CS generates random trees and bushes in that area. Would that be something that could easily be done?
Definitely not for 1.0. After that, we will see. Sounds like a feature more suited to a plugin in my opinion.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

onionland wrote:I agree with Zini that the area is much too large for the Example Suite, with the exception of trimming the size down I believe that the best approach may be to just focus on fully developing some areas at the time.

If there is enough low skilled volunteers then placing rocks and vegetation may be a good starting task, but if that is not the case then most of the island should probably just be ignored so that focus can be put towards developing a small area into a playable state.
The later please, no one ever said that we would to develop the whole island at once. That would be insane. I feel like I'm repeating myself here, the area (a few cells) where the player begins will be developed for the initial ES. We can expand outward later if and when time allows. :)
dudezzz

Post by dudezzz »

I am almost certain that there is software to automatically place flora objects on the map according to regional palettes. I believe this is how SGMonkey is developing High Rock for TES3. You might contact them: http://highrock.project-tamriel.com/
Zini

Post by Zini »

@psi29a: Finally got around to look at your files. Sorry that it took so long. I can not replicate your problem. The launcher does not complain to me. I noticed that you have an invalid profile in launcher.cfg (2015-07-28T00:21:46). But that is probably not related to the problem.
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

I think I figured out the problem, my esp/omwgame/omwaddon files were in ~/.local/share/openmw/data and all the textures/nifs/etc were in /opt/openmw-example-suite/data. Once I merged the two together in /usr/share/games/openmw/data (as you suggested) then the launcher no longer complained.

Sorry to make you waste cycles on this. At least I know now how we can ship the template and the ES.

The only missing piece is that the launcher will want to install Morrowind in the beginning. It would be nice if this was 'optional' if it didn't detect an omwgame. That we have default values for what can be found in the morrowind.ini file.
Zini

Post by Zini »

I think I figured out the problem, my esp/omwgame/omwaddon files were in ~/.local/share/openmw/data and all the textures/nifs/etc were in /opt/openmw-example-suite/data. Once I merged the two together in /usr/share/games/openmw/data (as you suggested) then the launcher no longer complained.
That would still be a bug. The configuration you describe should work just fine.
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

We definitely need a way to install the Example Suite independently. If we open the flood gates to modders, they are going to be confused about why they need to install Morrowind as step 1 for installing a completely separate game. Once it is possible to install without Morrowind, I'll include a guide here viewtopic.php?f=33&p=37387#p37022 so all the newcomers can install it.

We can then make a PR move together with an OpenMW release and announce that the OpenMW team is now looking for modelers to join the crew. I predict one of two things is going to happen as a result of this:

1. One or two people show up. Then shortly after they fade away.

2. A tidal wave of modders is going to come and crush us.

While #2 is quite optimistic, we ought to be prepared for such a surprise in case it indeed does happen. Currently we are not, because we have

1 beginner task https://bugs.openmw.org/issues/3157
1 advanced task https://bugs.openmw.org/issues/3196
2 hard tasks https://bugs.openmw.org/issues/3158 and making player animations from scratch

So before we are ready to make such a PR move, we need to sit down and populate the roadmap list with concrete #s of models we need. Then, when the tidal wave comes, we direct them to 'join the team' subforum and hand each modder a beginner task + modeling starting kit.
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

Thank you Destined for putting so much effort into this!

While I think we would all love to have the "problem" of having modders crush us, I agree that having things to do, visibly in small chunks on a tracker, is far better than having nothing to do.

Once we have basic story set in stone, we will then also have an idea as to type of assets we'll need and not just meshes and textures, but also music, sounds and eventually small videos (openmw logo, game logo, opening and ending).

The goal here is to let the story show off the features of OpenMW, via the main quest line but also side quests as well. Obviously a lot of these side-quests won't be do-able until OpenMW-CS gains additional features.
hircine

Post by hircine »

psi29a wrote:Thank you Destined for putting so much effort into this!

Yes, I'd like to thank Destined again for his work!

psi29a wrote:I'm resurrecting this project now that we're further along.

Overview
I've already got the OpenMW-Template to a point that OpenMW can run without Bethesda IP. This is a perfect jumping off point to get the Example-Suite up and running.

Changes
I hope I've not stepped on any toes here
After a number of years of inactivity. I'm happy for a refresh. I'm glad we can start doing some serious work on this. There are a number of people putting in effort. I'm happy. :D

I created this page: https://wiki.openmw.org/index.php?title=Example_Suite
To help with organisation & current ideas, resources etc. :)