OpenMW Example Suite - Active Development Notice

OpenMW's very own demo, template and game to show off everything that OpenMW is capable of.

Moderator: Example suite forum moderator

psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Re: OpenMW Example Suite - Active Development Notice

Post by psi29a »

I've avoided SA in the template because it should be something others can build on to do whatever they want (within reason) with all the assets there.

The example-suite is a whole other ball-game and I'm OK with it being CC-BY-SA 3.0 (3.0 because it is currently accepted by Debian while 4.0 is still bein lawyered). I mean this as a 'whole' but this does open up additional assets to the project.

The basics (humanoid body, animation, etc.) should still be CC-BY because it is a requirement of the Template.
johndh

Post by johndh »

Okay, cool. That works for me. Do we have a list of what assets go in the template and what goes in the ES?
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

I'm working on a new template release, it includes a manifest which we can also use a guide for what goes where.

The Template has to have everything required for OpenMW not to shit itself when you first start it up. For example, thanks to Destined we have skydome and Moonboy as our first/third-person player which can also double as an NPC.

Obviously as we continue forward, if we can improve or replace assets in ES they should also be back-ported to the Template.
Vyrukas

Post by Vyrukas »

I have a few questions I'd like to ask if that's okay.

How prevalent are exterior or exterior cells going to be? Will the interiors of buildings, caves, etc be completely in exterior cells, or will almost every single one have an interior cell? OpenMW has made great strides in optimization and considering that most of the models will be low-poly compared to modern games and the current lack of proper physics would allow you to open up exploration a bit more than morrowind would allow. But this is something out of my experience.

Exactly what sort of culture will the islanders be based on? I looked through the threads but I couldn't determine if it was decided on. If it's a scandanavian, indonesian, caribbean will determine the vibe more or less on modelers should make.

Lastly, a lot of the non-urgent modeling tasks depend on the previous question. I'm still trying to relearn how to use blender so I don't mind making some practice models, but for the Example Suite I'd like to be able to do some research and make the models fit the theme. For instance indonesian weaponry is far different than what the norwegians or aztec would have had.

I'm interested in helping once I figure out what the hell I'm doing.
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

No theme as of yet. I was in favor of a Cthulhu-like theme. Some others have their own vision. But in the end someone needs to actually pick up the Example Suite and start making models instead of making up stories and themes. I think it´s fair to give that first person the freedom to use whatever theme they wish. Later modders will then follow.
Vyrukas

Post by Vyrukas »

DestinedToDie wrote:No theme as of yet. I was in favor of a Cthulhu-like theme. Some others have their own vision. But in the end someone needs to actually pick up the Example Suite and start making models instead of making up stories and themes. I think it´s fair to give that first person the freedom to use whatever theme they wish. Later modders will then follow.
Well, I can wait. It's not as if I'm going to be churning meshes and textures out. I do have half of a textured knife done though, I can't figure out how to enable symmetry so I've been going everything by hand, but I think it's a pretty good start. I might lengthen it a bit to make a proper sword and it will make a halfway decent base for more exotic bladed weapons. I do plan on making a kris, but that would necessitate me learning how to easily make curves. Please mind my very low screen resolution.
Spoiler: Show
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

You can use the mirror modifier to achieve perfect symmetry. Also saves you from doing twice the amount of work. Tutorial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LwQO_tWTAQ

There is some setup required before you mirror your object, but you can skip to 4:37 if you want to get straight to the mirroring part.
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

Destined is absolutely right. Right now we're flying by the seat of our pants because there is currently no 'plan' complete with prototypes and or concept drawings/images. So the project might suffer from Frankenstein-asset syndrome for awhile. We're OK with this for now as it is demoing what OpenMW can do more than actually making a game.

If I had to draw a line in sand (and to keep things simple):
* tropical (flora and fauna)
* dilapidated wood houses/structures
* stone based houses/structures

Maybe at a later time, when OpenMW has world namespaces so that we can have more than one exterior (world space or whatever the term is), we can have a portal that can whisk people to other 'climates'.
Vyrukas

Post by Vyrukas »

DestinedToDie wrote:You can use the mirror modifier to achieve perfect symmetry. Also saves you from doing twice the amount of work. Tutorial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LwQO_tWTAQ

There is some setup required before you mirror your object, but you can skip to 4:37 if you want to get straight to the mirroring part.
Thanks, however I made much better progress than I did 10 years ago. I think I might have used a different program that I think was called milkshape? However Blender isn't that hard once you know what your doing. I even managed to mostly finish that knife, not too sure how to apply textures to it though.
psi29a wrote:Destined is absolutely right. Right now we're flying by the seat of our pants because there is currently no 'plan' complete with prototypes and or concept drawings/images. So the project might suffer from Frankenstein-asset syndrome for awhile. We're OK with this for now as it is demoing what OpenMW can do more than actually making a game.

If I had to draw a line in sand (and to keep things simple):
* tropical (flora and fauna)
* dilapidated wood houses/structures
* stone based houses/structures

Maybe at a later time, when OpenMW has world namespaces so that we can have more than one exterior (world space or whatever the term is), we can have a portal that can whisk people to other 'climates'.
Rocks and stone blocks seem like something relatively simple that I could practice applying textures on. By the way, could you link me to where the free asset depository is? When I finally make something good enough I'd like to put it out there for use.
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

Link to Roadmap: https://bugs.openmw.org/projects/examplesuite/roadmap

Make an account. When uploading your files, there are three things.

1. .blend file. This is so that we can later easily edit your model, if need arises.
2. .osgt/nif file. This is what´s used ingame.
3. Texture in .dds format.

Rocks are pretty simple to make textures for. You may want to check a tutorial on UV-mapping on how to apply said textures.