OpenMW Example Suite - Active Development Notice

OpenMW's very own demo, template and game to show off everything that OpenMW is capable of.

Moderator: Example suite forum moderator

Greendogo

OpenMW Example Suite - Active Development Notice

Post by Greendogo »

Active Development requiring OpenCS is on hold until it is in a more finished state.

Past work created using Bethesda's Construction Set will be replaced by game files created using OpenCS in order to demonstrate its features alongside OpenMW's.

Other work not requiring a functioning editor can be addressed before then.

Body models with animations need to be found or created. They've been among the most difficult resources to aquire, and hence their mention here. We can't use any models using Bethesda's model skeletons or Bethesda's animations, and because these have mostly always been used as a basis for creating new body mods for Morrowind, there is a complete lack of usable models/animations to fulfill this role.

Again, this project is not dead, but there is nothing we can do until the OpenCS is closer to being done, since showing off its capabilities has been included in the Example Suite's scope.
raevol

Re: OpenMW Example Suite - Active Development Notice

Post by raevol »

Hey, what scale are you looking for for this project? Further, how much writing should be done? Writing story and quests is something that could be done now, since that needs to be planned out before it can get implemented in assets. What do you think?
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

That's in another thread I think...

but if I remember correctly, a small map with a few islands. One village, a forest, a mountain, a lighthouse a cave and a crypt.

The precurser to the example suite can be found here:
http://www.mindwerks.net/2013/02/introd ... ing-needs/

You can see the photos, mockups/zoning and the esm itself if you want to fly around the islands. Note that we will not be using this as a basis.
onionland

Post by onionland »

Greendogo wrote: Body models with animations need to be found or created. They've been among the most difficult resources to aquire, and hence their mention here. We can't use any models using Bethesda's model skeletons or Bethesda's animations, and because these have mostly always been used as a basis for creating new body mods for Morrowind, there is a complete lack of usable models/animations to fulfill this role.
Would the animations need to be converted with preexisting morrowind software?

Actually, will the body models themselves have to be in a native morrowind format? Since as far as I know, there is plans to allow for ogre models to be used in opencs projects, meaning that any work put into getting the bodies to work would just be thrown out.
They would still need to be converted somehow, but if that is not the case, it is at least something that can be set aside for later.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

The models/animations can be in any format that OpenMW can use for such a thing, though there's probably some room for preference. But no, the animations don't need to be "converted with preexisting morrowind software". I'd strongly prefer a completely custom approach, using OpenMW project software (OpenCS) or FOSS software (like Blender, etc.).

Raevol, to answer your question, the scope is strictly to demonstrate the engine's capabilities, the editor's capabilities, and to create a reasonable jumping off point that others can use to start their own projects.
raevol

Post by raevol »

Greendogo wrote:Raevol, to answer your question, the scope is strictly to demonstrate the engine's capabilities, the editor's capabilities, and to create a reasonable jumping off point that others can use to start their own projects.
Cool cool. Not sure how much writing that would need, but definitely not as much as a full game.
Br0ken

Post by Br0ken »

Greendogo wrote: Body models with animations need to be found or created. They've been among the most difficult resources to aquire, and hence their mention here. We can't use any models using Bethesda's model skeletons or Bethesda's animations, and because these have mostly always been used as a basis for creating new body mods for Morrowind, there is a complete lack of usable models/animations to fulfill this role.
MacKom previously proposed a very nice body model.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2134#p23754
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

I'm resurrecting this project now that we're further along.

Overview
I've already got the OpenMW-Template to a point that OpenMW can run without Bethesda IP. This is a perfect jumping off point to get the Example-Suite up and running.

Changes
I hope I've not stepped on any toes here, but I've asked Lgro for admin access to Redmine. With the experience I've had with demoing Redmine to Tamriel-Rebuilt for their claims system, I've rebuilt the Example-Suite sub-project. I've removed most of the existing tasks there and added a few additional ones. OpenMW-Template will also be apart of the Example-Suite, it will be 'the core', this way we keep development/support in same place.

Want to change
I want to reorganize the forums as well, but I'll need admin access for that as well. I honestly think what is here is 'too much' for now. So I would like to slim it down a bit. I also think that the TR idea of 'claims' isn't necessary thanks to redmine... we have issues that can be assigned.

The Plan
I want to use a Digital Elevation Map (DEM) of an existing Island for terrain. Much better than something randomly generated. Once we have that, then we can map out regions. I want at least one interior, where the exit leads to the exterior/world. We make a basic story to start off and build off from there.

Some things that I can't do due to time and ability:
* base skeleton
* base animation
* male and female bodies

These currently have to be in NIF because we don't have a native skeleton/animation OSG format. This will change in the future, but for now we are stuck with NIF.

License
We're still CC-BY, so that we can fall under the DSFG and that people can take this and run with it to either improve or to make their own game from.
NatalieN

Post by NatalieN »

As far as worldspace/scripts/objects how will contributions be merged? Do contributor create .owmaddons that later get merged together?
Cramal

Post by Cramal »

I don't have any modeling/animations skills, but I want to help on the story/dialogue part.

Please keep us informed about the Redmine stuff, i thinks it's a good direction.

For lore building,from my experience, a brainstorming on an IRC channel (#openmw or another one) is the most efficient. We should obvioulsy fix in advance a sheduled so at least 3 or 4 people can be there at the same time. Such stuff is really usefull to accelerate the beginning and to create a basis on which people can work and develop later.