Non-coding jobs

Join the team. This area is for people who want to participate in OpenMW's development in one way or another.
chichakman

Re: Non-coding jobs

Post by chichakman »

Hey all,

I am a bit new here and was recently alterted to this absolutely amazing project a couple weeks ago via a thread posted on /r/linux_gaming on reddit. I was immediately impressed by what you guys have done so far. My winter break is coming up within the next week which means I have a ton of free time on my hands, so I would love to help you guys in any way possible.

I do not have much coding experience aside from a couple classes which I took to learn visual basic and am currently working on teaching myself C++. That being said, I am an utter novice and would most likely be useless in any fields of programming development. Regardless, I still plan on setting up a development environment on my computer once I have the time to do so.

If there are any areas that you guys really need help in, please let me know, as I am perfectly willing to do so.
  • Community/Website management: I have had no experience in website or community management, but if you guys need a position filled then I am fully prepared to jump right on in.
  • Research: I love mathematics, and I know that you guys still need help researching formulas for a multitude of topics so if that needs doing, I would love to do so.
  • Bug Testing: I have never done much bug testing before, but now is as good a time as any to start. I have been invovled in a couple betas, so I am at the very least no unused to the concept, but I can say that this will be my first time really taking it seriously.
I hope to enjoy working with you all! :D

CHM
potatoesmaster

Post by potatoesmaster »

Hi and welcome!

Research: I don't have a precise idea of the amount of work required in this area, but I can say we don't have the formulae to calculate fatigue decrease when running, swimming and attacking (issue reported on the bugtracker). The wiki page was cited already.

Bug testing: As always, testers are needed. ;)
  • Register on our bugtracker.
  • Play/test OpenMW.
  • When something is broken or does not behave correctly, search if the issue was already reported. If it isn't, create a new issue. The issue form might look a bit intimidating at first, but don't be afraid!
    Here are the important fields for reporters:
    • Subject and description: describe the problem and give instructions to reproduce it. Also, specify all the infos that can be relevant (e.g. version of OpenMW, graphic driver used if it is a rendering problem).
      You may want some hints for the used syntax (the full documentation is here):

Code: Select all

link:        "displayed text":http://www.example.com
      code block:  <pre>code</pre>
      quote:       > quoted text

• Target version: select the next OpenMW version (the issue will not appear on the roadmap if this field is blank).
    • Reproducibility: pick a value.
    • Operating system: if you are sure the issue is not specific to an OS, select "other".
    • Files: attaching files could prove useful (screenshots, log files, config files…)
Courage, people!
chichakman

Post by chichakman »

Thanks for the info. Once thursday exams are done, I will get straight to work on squashing bugs and doing research.

CHM