Where can you use me best?

Join the team. This area is for people who want to participate in OpenMW's development in one way or another.
christo

Where can you use me best?

Post by christo »

Hi everyone.

I've been looking for a fun game project for a little coding in my spare time. (I only really use toy languages in my day job). I've decided that OpenMW must be it, since after walking around for a few minutes the game crashed. I love it! Just like the original MW! :D

Jokes aside, you guys are doing a great job. I think I can help out, so here's the breakdown:

Pro:
* I have worked on fairly large programming projects.
* I don't really "know" C++, but I've done a reasonable amount of Java and C#, as well as a little C so it should be trivial to catch up.
* I have graduate-level knowledge of statistics.
* I have post-graduate mostly theoretical knowledge of neural networks, but I'm not as hot on game AI. I'll try, if you need me to.
* I have graduate-level knowledge of economics and banking. (If we ever want to make an improved game economy?)
* I know a fair bit about metallurgy and the history of metal working, mainly steel and iron. (If we ever want to do built-in crafting?)
* Geek beard. It has to count for something.

Con:
* I'm often sick of computers when I get home from work. I'll probably write less code than most of you.
* I have precious little experience with game programming.
* I can't help with the graphics side of things.
* I get bored easily.
* I have a terrible internet connection.

Under normal circumstances, I'd volunteer to do either the Alchemy or the Mercantile implementation as a way of testing the water. However, I understand that you are preparing for the next release and would like these done quickly. That doesn't mix well with the casual developer starting to learn his way around the project, so I'll ask you:

Which task would you like me to work on?
Zini

Re: Where can you use me best?

Post by Zini »

The Mercantile skill effectively isn't on the roadmap for 0.16 anymore. No one has started working on it yet and it is unlikely that we get it in quickly. Actually, it isn't urgent at all. I only put it on the roadmap, because we already have most of the GUI for it.

Please make sure to read all of the developer documentation on the wiki first.

One more thing. Be careful with this assumption:
* I don't really "know" C++, but I've done a reasonable amount of Java and C#, as well as a little C so it should be trivial to catch up.
Because it will come back to you and bite you in the ass eventually.
jhooks1

Re: Where can you use me best?

Post by jhooks1 »

Welcome!! Shouldn't be too hard for you to learn C++. With your background it sounds like you could do a lot of good for this project.