Application: moodydog

Join the team. This area is for people who want to participate in OpenMW's development in one way or another.
moodydog

Application: moodydog

Post by moodydog »

Hi,

I'm moodydog (aka Sam), and a burning question I've been asking myself for a while is "How do you make a game engine?"...
Well the reason for this is, I'm fairly active in another level editing community for a fairly old game series, and there have been recent efforts to modernise the game engine, similarly to what you guys are doing OpenMW. I've long imagined the benefits of bringing such an classic and beloved series up to date, as there is only so much modding can to to old software.
I'm also an Elder Scrolls fan. All though unfortunately I cannot say I have gotten very far in Morrowind, (though I've played Oblivion and Skyrim to death) I'm trying to persevere this time, but I'm actually interested in Morrowind from a technical perspective, and am eager to see what it's all about.

I am a software developer by trade, my specialities are Java and Python, but I am becoming more familiar with C++, well, to a point I can sort of understand the logic. :) My aim is initially to see what's around. What tasks may ease me into the project and get me feeling familiar with these types of repos.
One area, (maybe naively) I would be interested in later down the line is to do with performance and optimisation. Finding improved ways of rendering the content on screen as efficiently as possible, and retaining as much visual fidelity as possible (and even surpassing graphical limits).
Zini

Re: Application: moodydog

Post by Zini »

Welcome. Please make sure to read the pinned thread ("New developers read this first"). Note that the page is slightly outdated. Registering on GitHub is optional now, but you should register on GitLab (at least for access to the bug tracker).

We recently introduced a "Beginner" label on our tracker (https://gitlab.com/OpenMW/openmw/issues ... ]=Beginner). Not a whole lot on there yet, but it is still a good place to start.