Application: x1ph0z

Join the team. This area is for people who want to participate in OpenMW's development in one way or another.
x1ph0z

Application: x1ph0z

Post by x1ph0z »

Hey there y'all. Like many of you I assume, Morrowind is the game I look back on as my childhood. I've been interested in dipping my feet into open source development for some time now, and what better way than to help develop a project I've been interested in. I have a bachelor's in Software Engineering and I've been working as a developer for the past 3 years. I have some background in C++, but most of my experience is in C, Python and Java. I'm looking forward to working with you guys and hopefully squash some bugs and learn more about C++ development.
Thunderforge

Re: Application: x1ph0z

Post by Thunderforge »

Glad to have you join us! Everything you need to get started should be on the wiki. We're pretty much at feature parity with vanilla in the main app, but the Construction Set could use some love; it'd be a great place to start.
drummyfish

Post by drummyfish »

Hello, nice to meet you :) My workflow was usually this: go to the bug tracker, find a nice looking bug, try to reproduce, try to find the source, make a new branch, try to fix, make a pull request if successful (or even if only partially successful, it's good to make PRs early so that people give you feedback). The online code reference comes in handy. Also here's something I posted earlier. Happy coding!
x1ph0z

Post by x1ph0z »

Thanks for the great advice everyone. I got it to build on visual studio 2017, so all that's left is to pick an issue and work on it :)
Thunderforge

Post by Thunderforge »

x1ph0z wrote: 12 Apr 2018, 15:55 I got it to build on visual studio 2017, so all that's left is to pick an issue and work on it :)
Some developers have had difficulty with building on Windows (and of course, Visual Studio is the most common IDE on that platform). If you had to figure out things by trial and error or ask questions, it would be great if you could edit the wiki to include what you've learned, that way others don't have to go through any issues you encountered. You can get Wiki edit access by going here and adding yourself to the Wiki group.
ajira2

Post by ajira2 »

Yes please, make a tutorial in the wiki step by step for retarded users like me on how to build it for visual studio 2017, it would be of great help.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

The way the wiki recommends you build OpenMW on Windows is already a step-by-step guide. There are potentially some issues with the script it runs, but that's only because people haven't been reporting the issues on the forum or bugtracker, so no one with the ability to fix them knew they existed.