Application: Mark

Join the team. This area is for people who want to participate in OpenMW's development in one way or another.
MorrowMark

Application: Mark

Post by MorrowMark »

Just using my first name since I'll be linking github eventually anyways.

My background is more on the Java side, but I've done enough with C++ to jump right in. Got everything set up last night and was able to build and launch the game successfully. First impressions of the code base are intimidating; it feels like it could be organized / architected to be a bit more clear / readable - files that are over a thousand lines long make me very sad.

Anyways, I was able to throw together a hacky implementation of swift casting, just because I wanted it in my game. Might clean that up a bit and then get some other eyes on it. Gonna go register on the issue tracker, I guess.
raevol

Re: Application: Mark

Post by raevol »

Welcome! Looking forward to seeing your work!
Thunderforge

Re: Application: Mark

Post by Thunderforge »

MorrowMark wrote: 09 Feb 2018, 00:13 First impressions of the code base are intimidating; it feels like it could be organized / architected to be a bit more clear / readable - files that are over a thousand lines long make me very sad.
One great way to help is to add documentation and clean up the code. That way, you get a better understanding of what's going on, and you help others avoid the same struggles.

Also, refactoring sounds like an excellent thing to do. There was discussion recently on improving our unit test suite, which would involve refactoring. Any of these things would be excellent ways to help.
MorrowMark wrote: 09 Feb 2018, 00:13 Anyways, I was able to throw together a hacky implementation of swift casting, just because I wanted it in my game. Might clean that up a bit and then get some other eyes on it. Gonna go register on the issue tracker, I guess.
Another excellent feature. Look forward to seeing it in the game!