Application: AHSauge

Join the team. This area is for people who want to participate in OpenMW's development in one way or another.
AHSauge

Application: AHSauge

Post by AHSauge »

Hi guys!

I was quite pleasantly surprised to hear about this project on Phoronix.com the other day. I am a long time Linux user and I strongly prefer to run native games, rather than through wine. I have enjoyed many, many hours of Morrowind in the past, and I'd definitely like to try to contribute.

I've already built the latest code and been running it for a few hours. Much to my satisfaction :D

About me:
I have a strong background in C++. I have a BSc in computer engineering where the first language was C++, so C++ is basically the first programming language I learned properly. I also have a BSc in satellite technology. It's basically a fancy word for electronics engineer with knowledge about space conditions. During the studies, I worked part time on a student satellite project where I developed larger parts of the software in C/C++. For the last 5-6 years I've been working as a C++ software developer on a military grade simulator. It's a bit politically incorrect, but you could call it a game for the military. It's most certainly based on a game engine. Currently I am kind of the lead developer for the project.
I'm not afraid of getting my hands dirty and redesigning code to work better. The mentioned simulator has a couple of decades of history behind it, so go figure.
My main work consist of working on infrastructure and simulation code. I have fairly low knowledge about GUI/visual systems. I am mostly accustom to dealing with the game engine, and it ending there. I have some limited knowledge about Qt, but this is for the most part something I did some years ago.

Judging by the other threads here, I can see that OpenMW-CS needs some care. I'm definitely open to that, although I don't have much experience in using that nor the TES Construction Set.
Part of my motivation to contribute here is to regain some knowledge about development on Linux and cross platform development.

I am obviously not known to the source code, so I would very much appreciate someone pointing to a simple task just to get to know some of the source code.
lysol

Re: Application: AHSauge

Post by lysol »

You are very very welcome AHSauge! :)

Can't really point you to a "simple" task myself since I'm not a dev, but I just wanted to wish you welcome here.
raevol

Post by raevol »

Welcome!

As lysol said, we are a little starved for simple tasks, but excited to see what you can come up with!
Frik

Post by Frik »

AHSauge wrote: 03 Aug 2017, 21:46 Judging by the other threads here, I can see that OpenMW-CS needs some care. I'm definitely open to that, although I don't have much experience in using that nor the TES Construction Set.

I am obviously not known to the source code, so I would very much appreciate someone pointing to a simple task just to get to know some of the source code.
Greetings!

I think everyone here, especially the Linux users, would welcome more development on the OpenMW-CS. I know I certainly would. I can't really recommend a simple task (perhaps someone else can), but the two big items on everyone's wishlist seem to be Snap to Grid & Terrain Editing.

Perhaps the best way to determine what needs to be done is to create a few mods using OpenMW-CS and see where that leads you. Two issues I'd like to see resolved in some fashion are these:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4059
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3766
(There is a fork that addresses the later issue using manual marker resizing)
https://github.com/ZenTux/openmw

Welcome & I hope to see your contributions to the editor. 8-)
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

Welcome.

Another OpenMW-CS thing that we're missing are doormarkers, templemarkers, imperial cult markers. These are basically used for teleports between cells, or a simple cell transition. Would be nice to have them working.
AHSauge

Post by AHSauge »

Thanks for all the replies. Unfortunately work kind of kidnapped me since mid-August last year (the downside of being the only go-to-guy left on a product...). I do have some time now, and managed to solve this one: https://bugs.openmw.org/issues/3343
Now I'm just wonder how I can assign bugs to myself. Is there anyone in particular that gives out permissions for that?
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

Zini wrote: 03 Apr 2018, 16:26quote
I think this quote should give Zini a notification and possibly draw his attention to the permission issue.