Want to help

Join the team. This area is for people who want to participate in OpenMW's development in one way or another.
Decatheron

Want to help

Post by Decatheron »

Hi,

So I've been wanting to play Morrowind all over again, one more time, I think you know the felling (happens every 2-3 years since I played it when I was thirteen :D )

Last time I played, what was hype at the time for morrowind was the MGSO. It brought me tears to see it remasterized like this, but the gaming experience wasn't ideal, with lot of crashes and enormous demand on the hardware. So I discovered your project, alongside with the skywind one, and if skywind looks stunning, it is not what I'm looking for, since I loved to read tons of dialogue and am not a fan of Skyrim (always stayed to morrowind).

So I wanted to help for OpenMW. I was delighted to discover that the work is very advanced with 0.40 version, but it might need some additional testing ? I also happen to be french if that is an asset. So tell me, what can I do to help ?

Also, is there anything I should pay attention to will installing thing ? I have the 2003 GOTY CDs.
silentthief

Re: Want to help

Post by silentthief »

Not a dev (disclaimer so that they correct me if I am wrong), but I know that the game is listed as near 100% feature complete. The testing comes in to play (as far as I know) on checking how mods work with OpenMW. Check this sub-forum for the discussion:

viewforum.php?f=40

Oh, and welcome aboard. We are glad for new people joining, and encourage as many as we can get.

ST
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

Hey, Decatheron! :)

Like silentthief already said, you could focus your testing efforts on mod testing. Just check out the corresponding Wiki pages (Mod status and Mod Testing Guidelines) for more information.

You could also contribute to our project by translating stuff into French, e.g., news posts or video subtitles. The latter would be awesome. Another user, TheForgotten, recently applied to do translation work too. But I've never heard of him again. :?

If you have any questions, send me a private message.

Update: Oh, and there shouldn't be any problems with the GotY edition of Morrowind. However, keep in mind that you may want to have multiple versions of OpenMW installed at the same time -- in case you want to test some mods. While you only need one Morrowind installation to achieve that, I prefer to have a separate OpenMW local directory for each OpenMW installation. Keeps things clean.
Decatheron

Post by Decatheron »

Hi,

So I've been playing around to test things a little.

I installed a Play-focussed setup for now, with a few mods. I still encountered some bugs (not mods related though). I wonder if it's because I didn't installed the MPP, but since I read that normally OpenMW should solve the original installation bugs.

For example, once I finished all of Sugar Lips Hasbi's quests in Balmora, going to the South Wall corner Club, she disapeared. Training a skill with a NPC in there, I hear a fall, and found her dead. Don't know if its a know bug or not. Have to try to repeat it maybe.

I also have the second bug listed here: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:The_ ... laalo#Bugs (but don't know if it has been corrected by the MPP)

I also happen to see texture troubles sometimes (falling tree leaves, and some guy face in a tomb I should have written down :roll: )

But, yeah, I would be glad to test mods once I finished my playthrough (probably in two weeks or so), to do it correctly. In the mean time, I can help with translations, but I didn't find the place where I should find translation related stuffs. Can you MP it to me ? Thanks
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

You do require the MPP if you want a bug-free experience - OpenMW aims to fix bugs in the original engine, but not bugs in the assets it loads in order to actually be a game. The MCP, for example, isn't required, as it fixes engine bugs, but without the MPP, OpenMW's being told to break by the assets it loads, so it dutifully does so.
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

Personally I play without MPP, because it is overly enthusiastic about 'fixing' things that aren't broken.
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

Decatheron wrote:[...] In the mean time, I can help with translations, but I didn't find the place where I should find translation related stuffs. Can you MP it to me ? Thanks
For the video subtitles: [Comp] OpenMW video updates
You can upload your results here and let Cramal and our other French members proof-read it.

Thanks in advance for your help! :)
Cramal

Post by Cramal »

Yeah I don't have the time to do the translation to French myself, but I can proof read it without problem
Decatheron

Post by Decatheron »

Thanks !

Also, I don't know if this is known or not, or if its OpenMW related or not, but I came across some concerning bug.
When a creature try to attack and get stuck, or lately I managed to stuck a NPC into a wooden door, this cause huge drop in frame rate for the area (like 1/2 fps). For creature it is'nt a trouble, since I just have to find them and kill them, but for the NPC, I can not "unstuck" him (as he is blocking the opening of the door). Any idea on how to solve this, and if it should be reported or not ?

EDIT : Solved it with the ResetActors command. But still, I think the infinite collision generated kill the engine (or something in this spirit), however, I don't know if there is much to do about it.
Capostrophic

Post by Capostrophic »

Currently physics have quite a few... bottlenecks, yep.