More documentation

Join the team. This area is for people who want to participate in OpenMW's development in one way or another.
Ravenwing

More documentation

Post by Ravenwing »

Hi all,

I thought it was about time I start helping out with something, but I think I have too little coding experience to be of much help documenting the source code. It sounds like DavidD is hopefully getting around to that, so I'm willing to help out with pretty much everything else. I've already branched the source from our GitHub and cloned it to my desktop. I also think I've got a general idea of how the whole structure for sphinx works, but I'll probably need a little help here and there understanding how all of this works and our process for everything. Perhaps once I get it all figured out I'll write some documentation on how we want to write documentation ;) I'm a native English speaker so I can help proofread anything as well.
DestinedToDie

Re: More documentation

Post by DestinedToDie »

Nice.

By pretty much everything else, do you mean OpenMW-CS documentation? Because I don't know if there is much else to do other than that and source code. Anyway hopefully we'll get the old OpenMW-CS documents up to date and maybe some text tutorials with screenshots too.

Another thing that could possibly help is someone *finally* making an OpenMW mod list we know 100% works and doesn't contain strange scripts/shiny rocks. While you'd need author permission for a compilation, having a list with links to mods instead of 1 huge compilation would bypass the need for that.

Or maybe really start emailing authors, and compiling their works into 1 huge OpenMW compilation installer.

Also editing the wiki page on what mods work and what don't. Right now it seems everyone goes through trial and error installing mods, but nobody posts the results.
Ravenwing

Post by Ravenwing »

Well I was planning on starting out by duplicating what's under the User Documentation section in the wiki to get used to the format and structure before moving on. Mod installation and config settings in particular would be good to have up to date user documentation on (I believe they're already up to date, but I mean for the future). But yes, I would also be focusing on OpenMW-CS documentation, as well as anything else that comes up that we think we might want something published about.

I'm not sure how I feel about the whole mod list thing in general. I know the general public is going to have about a million questions on mod compatibility once we get to 1.0, but I feel like it's more of a lesson in futility. It seems like about 90% of those questions can be easily answered without testing if people just understood what OpenMW actually does. Does it rely on MSE or something else that requires morrowind.exe? Yes, then it won't work properly. No, then most likely the majority of it will. And I know this isn't a very user friendly view, but I think any non-trivial mod should just be remade using our CS, or at least polished up a bit with it.
raevol

Post by raevol »

Thank you so much Ravenwing!! This is awesome!