Another Helper

Join the team. This area is for people who want to participate in OpenMW's development in one way or another.
CheeseBurg

Another Helper

Post by CheeseBurg »

I have been following this project for years (since the switch from D) and everyday I told myself I would help in anyway I could. Unfortunately I am a bit of a slacker so it has taken a few more years than I hoped. I have been out of college for half a year now and I work as a Java/front-end developer so I have coding experience (not really good at it) but I would rather help out with testing and anything else you throw at me. Here are some of the machines I have:

Main Machine
-> Ubuntu 13.04 64bit / Windows 7 64bit
-> Intel Core i7-2600
-> GeForce GTX 570
-> 16 GB RAM

Second Machine
-> Ubuntu 13.10 Dev 64bit (soon to be Fedora 19 64bit)
-> AMD Athlon II X2 250
-> AMD R5880
-> 5 GB RAM

Third Machine
-> Lubuntu 13.04 32bit
-> Intel Pentium 4
-> GeForce 6200
-> 1 GB RAM

I can do Wiki work too. Once I am here for a while, I will go for some coding jobs and try to help out with the editor a bit since I want to learn Qt. As for testing, I have no experience but I want to learn since it is a skill every developer needs. I am an Ubuntu fanboy(ish) but I like installing other distros as well so if you want me to test on others let me know. Also I have copies of both Windows XP and Windows 8 so I can test them. I am really excited to help out this project!
Lano

Re: Another Helper

Post by Lano »

As far as the wiki is up to date, they need testers (bug reports) and researchers along coders of course.

I am not sure if there is an official ToDo I have overlooked somehow?

Also publicity helps, if you can get some coverage. More people learn about the project, more will be able to offer help. I guess the main problem with open source projects is to lead new members on track with the "Things to To".

I guess a frequently updated roadmap, a list of current things to do, and of course a good starter's guide does boost the progress nicely. Thats just my 2cents.
Zini

Re: Another Helper

Post by Zini »

There is still stuff to do on the wiki. In particular the documentation for the ESX format hasn't been completed. To start with, it doesn't appear to be linked from anywhere (should go somewhere into the developer references). There may be other holes.

Also, once we move beyond OpenMW 1.0 we will need a way to markup changes to the format in newer versions (we already have at least one of these, plus a few parts of the old format that are not used by OpenMW and also could use some markup).

I am not sure how to handle that. Suggestions welcome.