Willing and able.

Join the team. This area is for people who want to participate in OpenMW's development in one way or another.
Kyn

Willing and able.

Post by Kyn »

Hey there, I just found out that this project existed last night and I am already sold to give my undying support. I have played Morrowind ever since it first came out and now I still enjoy enhancing my experience with mods, but when dabbling with making my own mods I hit a bit of a brick wall; the limiting construction set. Creating new areas or quests doesn't interest me nearly as much as reworking how attributes and skills work, or adding new spell effects. It seems everything I want to do to the game requires a messy script, even though it should be as simple as a value change, (sometimes).

Currently I have no programming experience, I only really understand the ABSOLUTE basics of code. I understand how it works to a degree, but I have no idea how to make a code do what I want it to do. Soon I will be taking programming courses in college, but probably not soon enough to be of much help in that department (I will stay in touch anyway for whatever I can do).

The main thing I am interested in doing is working with the research team. I admit my guilty pleasure is making formulas for sets of inputs and outputs (I make formulas in excel all the time for random things like scaling on damage or any other set of numbers that has a logical increase, don't judge me :D ). If you want to know how something works I will gladly boot up Morrowind and test it at every possible value of every stat and give you the answer in a nice simple equation. I am also willing to do anything else that could help OpenMW reach its ultimate goal, just tell me what jobs require doing, and I will give you a gauge on how well I think I could complete that task.

Even though I have stated that OpenMW is a stepping stone to my personal goal, I still believe I will do my very best to help OpenMW reach its own goal, instead of warping it to meet my wishes (I will make fixing hand-to-hand damage scaling, unarmored, the broken alchemy, enchanting, and leveling system, and the simple combat a plug-in :lol: ). Currently I am able to spend an indefinite amount of time working on this, as I am on winter break. But in spring, I could probably fit in a good 10 hours a week (maybe more, maybe less. Depends on if anything comes up). I will notify you if anything in real life will keep me away from the project, and try my best to get things resolved to get back to work.

I don't know everything that could be helpful to OpenMW, so I will just list some things about me. I am moderately computer literate (able to use one and maintain it :lol: ), I have experience in creating spreadsheets (especially anything that transforms user input into outputs), I have limited experience with the construction set (mainly just placing objects, and making npcs; made a house for my character with vendors and storage), I am fairly good at math (taking trigonometry in the spring), and I have an intense love of game mechanics and theorycrafting. As far as bug testing goes, I have 2 PCs that I have built that I can test on. Both run Windows 7 Ultimate (I have no experience with linux, OSX, or dual-booting, but if need be I can learn). One has an AMD cpu and gpu, the other is Intel and Nvidia. Also as stated above just tell me about other work that must be done and the skills required to complete them. I will tell you if either I can do it, I can learn how to do it quickly, or if it would take me too long to learn how to do it and it would be better to seek a more skilled individual.

As you can tell by my extremely long post, I am absolutely fanatical about Morrowind (as many others are). This game is my childhood and I yearn to extend it and enhance it. Even though I currently have a pirated version of Morrowind, I have bought the game 3 times legally (once on xbox, then the goty version on xbox, then the goty version for pc, but I lost the disks), so I feel I am entitled to be able to pirate it :mrgreen: . If you have any questions about me feel free to ask, and I will get back you you asap.

I look forward to meeting you guys and working together. :)
Zini

Re: Willing and able.

Post by Zini »

Welcome. It seems that most of our research team is still AWOL, so for the most part you will be on your own for now.

Here is our research page: https://wiki.openmw.org/index.php?title=Research

What we need most right now, is the skill gain mechanics. We know how skill levels increase, but we don't know exactly under what circumstances such an increase happens. At least not for all skills. For things like Alchemy it is obvious. For skills like Athletics not so much.

Could you go through the page listed above and fill in the missing information, please?
Kyn

Post by Kyn »

Alright, what do you mean by the circumstances? Off the top of my head i know that athletics levels from running for a certain duration, and swimming for about 2/3 of that duration. But I actually have no idea if the speed attribute factors into it at all. And is https://wiki.openmw.org/index.php?title ... _increases all of it about skills? If so there is alot of blanks to fill. :mrgreen:

Lastly, how exactly do I submit data? Is there a format you would prefer and how do i submit it to the research wiki?
Zedd

Post by Zedd »

Hi there,

Welcome!

It's good to have such a devoted soul as you in these times of sheer researchers. As you will see on the wiki, there's still enough work to do, I probably don't need to say this, but try to be as sure as possible about the formulas. If you have any research related questions you can start a tread for it, for other things feel free to contact me personally.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Alright, what do you mean by the circumstances? Off the top of my head i know that athletics levels from running for a certain duration, and swimming for about 2/3 of that duration
That is exactly what I meant. What you just have given here is part of the answer. We need to know what that "certain duration" is though.
And is https://wiki.openmw.org/index.php?title ... _increases all of it about skills? If so there is alot of blanks to fill
There is some more stuff in the Player Craft Skills section. And probably some more on other research pages.
Lastly, how exactly do I submit data? Is there a format you would prefer and how do i submit it to the research wiki?
Edit the wiki. That's what it is for. Note that you first need to add yourself to the wiki usergroup here in the forum to get editing rights.
Kyn

Post by Kyn »

Alright, Ill test some things and then you guys can tell me if I'm moving in the right direction. :lol:
raevol

Post by raevol »

Just wanted to say your avatar is awesome, and so is the pic it's taken from. :D
Kyn

Post by Kyn »

raevol wrote:Just wanted to say your avatar is awesome, and so is the pic it's taken from. :D
Hell yea it is, ive been using the original picture as my desktop too for a really long time now.
Zedd

Post by Zedd »

How are things going Kyn?
Not overwhelmed by all the research that can be done I hope? :)
Kyn

Post by Kyn »

Zedd wrote:How are things going Kyn?
Not overwhelmed by all the research that can be done I hope? :)
Nah just been trying to find time lately to get to it. I keep doing a little bit every once in a while and its making it hard to keep track of everything lol. But i'm still working on it and i will submit some data when i have something tangible.