Need a sound designer?

Join the team. This area is for people who want to participate in OpenMW's development in one way or another.
VoidHymn

Need a sound designer?

Post by VoidHymn »

Hi there!

My name's Séamus, and I've been a fairly long-term lurker of the forums here and much longer term lover of Morrowind. I'm also a sucker for all things open-source, especially when it comes to helping preserve the legacy of fantastic older games :)

I've been working on sound design projects for games for a few years now, first as part of CMT, a PC Halo modding team, on their big project SPv3, where I contributed a range of sounds for Covenant weapons, as well as engineering and implementation work on the mod's remastered music and dialogue. I also recently contributed a range of ambient sounds to the in-development game Epitasis.

Basically, I'm now looking for another project to help work on, and while my coding skills are... basically nonexistent, I was thinking maybe I could be of some help creating bespoke sounds for the Example Suite? Please do let me know if this is something that would be of interest! If not, then I'll hang around and make ridiculous unworkable requests for post-1.0 functionality ;)

Looking forward to chatting with you all!
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Re: Need a sound designer?

Post by psi29a »

Wow and welcome aboard! :)
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

Hello.

How familiar are you with Morrowind's sounds? I think the first step would be to figure out what sounds we actually need. Some time ago I made a smaller list for character sounds and a member composed a list of free sounds we might use. viewtopic.php?f=28&t=4325&hilit=sound+e ... =20#p48751

You could take a look at these and see if they match your ideas and expand on our list.
VoidHymn

Post by VoidHymn »

DestinedToDie wrote: 24 Sep 2017, 20:50 Hello.

How familiar are you with Morrowind's sounds? I think the first step would be to figure out what sounds we actually need. Some time ago I made a smaller list for character sounds and a member composed a list of free sounds we might use. viewtopic.php?f=28&t=4325&hilit=sound+e ... =20#p48751

You could take a look at these and see if they match your ideas and expand on our list.
Hey there! My knowledge is by no means encyclopedic, but I checked your list, and it roughly tallied with my ideas about what sounds to tackle first. I could always take a look through Morrowind's data files and come up with a more comprehensive list, but I'd certainly be happy to have a go at some of the sounds listed over the next week or two.