Possible applications

Join the team. This area is for people who want to participate in OpenMW's development in one way or another.
greye

Possible applications

Post by greye »

Greetings.

I'm a cs student having solid background AI knowledge. Unfortunately, I lack practice in this field so I try to correct it. I have C/C++ experience (as well as in more exotical languages), worked on formal language processors and have a little practice on network programming and distributed systems design so as in reverse engineering.

I'd like to take tasks related to AI (pathfinding etc.). If it is not preferred way for now I can try myself in something else although. But don't mess me with GUI, please.
Zini

Re: Possible applications

Post by Zini »

Welcome!

As usual I start by directing you to our new developer checklist (linked in the pinned thread in this forum section).

We aren't ready yet for AI. If everything works out and none of the important tasks are dropped by the developers they are assigned to, maybe in 3-4 releases.

We are a bit short on free tasks right now, (mostly) because of a recent wave of new developers, so I can't offer you a lot of choice. The situation should get better in two weeks or so when the dust has settled, some people have come back from vacation and we generally know again where we stand.

Right now this is all I can come up with:

Make CreatureStats into a class

Acceptable?
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

welcome!
greye

Post by greye »

Welcome!
Thank you.
Acceptable?
Sure, will do it.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

So many new faces! :) Welcome _greye and all the others to OpenMW. :)
Zini

Post by Zini »

Well, that was a fast one. Need to find a new task for you, it seems.

Either one more code maintenance task (more or less): Dropping Items

Has some tricky parts.

Or:

Allow objects to cross cell-borders

Gus wanted to take it originally, but he is away for at least another week and he has more than enough other tasks. A bit more complicated, but I can provide some hints.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Done, it seems. Want the other task too? Its closely related to what you just wrote.

Basically you need to copy and delete the object in the world model (delete = set count to 0). Then you also need to adjust the physics and the rendering, if at least one of source and destination cells are active. In case both are active, I suggest to do the rendering/physics part as move instead of copy/delete.

The functions you want to look at are MWWorld::World::moveObject and MWWorld::World::moveObjectImp.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

It was very important task! Excellent job!

Zini sounds a little like a guild quest giver ;-)
Zini

Post by Zini »

Funny.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

Keep up the good work, greye. Out of the many recent waves of new developers, there were quite some that gave up or didn't report back. It's great to see a new developer actually producing quality code!