Short story of my life (There is an application too) ;)

Join the team. This area is for people who want to participate in OpenMW's development in one way or another.
draghan

Short story of my life (There is an application too) ;)

Post by draghan »

Hi guys
A few days I found your announcement on polish server of gamedev ( warsztat.gd ). I decided to enter for this project. But first of all...

About me
My name is Draghan. It's not my real name, it's more like an „artistic pseudonym”. I'm from Poland
and I'm 18. I like playing chess, volleyball and RPG ( also the paper version), reading books (mostly fantasy), writing, and programming. I study in IT technical high school. I knew few foreign languages – Pascal, C, C++… but not English :)

About TES III : Morrowind
I found this game a few years ago. It was selling with a magazine. My friend bought it, he was saying that TES III is an amazing game. I was still on the Light Side of Power but then....
I installed the game. I played it. I turned it off. I uninstalled.
After a few months I installed it again and begun the gaming. I went to the Dark Side. Then I discover the Force of Modifications. Since that day I have played the modified version of Morrowind (actually size is more than 4 Gb!). I will do it as long as I can... or as long as my saves will be working ( may The Tribunal take care of them! ).
It's not true that this game is amazing. It's a masterpiece.

About OpenMW
I discover the project by mistake when I was looking for some interesting mods. It arouse me interest. I didn't have sado-maso-programistic inclinations then. ^^'

After that I knew warsztat.gd and started to visit it regularly. There I found your project again with the link to openmw.com. I started to follow the progresses and dream about being in credits :)
I believe that reimplementation of Morrowind's engine will be successful. Even more – I'm sure that OpenMW will leave behind the original engine made by Bethesda.

About programming:
I just adore working on the code.
It started in the first year of technical high school. We had programming lessons (initially – Turbo Pascal). Everybody from my class didn’t understand so I decided that I will get it.
And I did it. After some time I realize how little is my classmates knowledge about programming. But it was nothing, our teacher didn’t know more about the subject he taught…I start to learn C++. I also begun my own project – a game.
I used DevC++ then I tried with Code::Blocks.
I wrote in Ogre, DirectX, OpenGL. I tried a bit of everything. After all my experiments and ideas I understood that I can’t do anything in 3D alone. I started to look for something less difficult.
Allegro. That was the right thing for me. My game (maybe I will end it some day :) is “frozen” at this moment. When I have some free time I only write editing tools for my project.

How I said – I know Pascal and C++. During learning C++ I also learnt C. I’m going to improve my C++ skills and get to know Boost library, QT library and assembler. Maybe I will start to using Linux (however I don’t feel that it is necessary – I’m a player, Windows is enough for me till now
[for curious - reactos.com there is an interesting curiosity]). :)
I’m NOT going to learn about shaders, the ways of rendering 3D, et cetera.

About OpenMW (again):
If you accept my application I don’t want (at the beginning…) to get any important or urgent work to do. At first, I wont to do something easy, not difficult. I need some time to know how the code looks like.
A huge problem is that I don’t know English very well. I can understand what the text is about but I have some problems with expressing myself in this language, so my posts will be not a poetry.
The next problem is the lack of regular access to the Internet. I can visit the web one or two times a week.

Ok. I think that I wrote too much…I congratulate everyone who has read this and didn’t fall asleep ;)

Last but not least - I want to thank my friend (the same who shows me Morrowind) for translating this text.
sirherrbatka

Re: Short story of my life (There is an application too) ;)

Post by sirherrbatka »

welcome!
Zini

Post by Zini »

Your English is just good enough. Shouldn't be a problem. Having access to the internet only once or twice a week however is. Working on a project of this kind requires a lot of communication and having limited internet access will slow that down painfully. I don't know if it will work out. But we can try anyway.

There is a checklist for new developers (see the pinned thread in this forum section). Once you are through with that, we can look for a task for you.
draghan

Post by draghan »

Zini wrote:Your English is just good enough. Shouldn't be a problem.
Oh, my message, which is above was translated by my friend ;)
Zini wrote:Having access to the internet only once or twice a week however is. Working on a project of this kind requires a lot of communication and having limited internet access will slow that down painfully.
Yes, I am well aware. If it would be necessary, I would be more likely to report. I do not want you to slow down. I know what's important.
Zini wrote:There is a checklist for new developers
Sir lgromanowski mentioned this to warsztat.gd. Superficially acquainted with it (now I have to learn it by heart 8-)). When will I learn, then ask for further instructions.
sirherrbatka wrote:welcome!
Hello, sirherrbatka. On the blog openmw.org (Polish) write up well. I hope that this will continue ;)
draghan wrote:Oh, my message, which is above was translated by my friend ;)
/this text is translated by myself... and Google :D/
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Post by lgromanowski »

draghan wrote:Sir lgromanowski mentioned this to warsztat.gd.
Just call me Lukasz (or lgro), you don't need to add "sir" :)
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

Hello, sirherrbatka. On the blog openmw.org (Polish) write up well. I hope that this will continue
I'm surprised that someone is actually reading it ;-)
/this text is translated by myself... and Google
Don't worry. You surpassed my l33t English skillz and now you are head to head with Mariusz "Max" Kolonko.
Zini

Post by Zini »

I think I found some tasks for you.

A very trivial one, which should make a nice warm-up exercise:

More Component Namespace Cleanup

And if you haven't died from boredom while doing that, you can have a go at this afterwards:

^-escape sequences in text output

Not trivial at all, but also very low priority, which means you can take as much time as you want.
ElderTroll

Post by ElderTroll »

Great to have you. I am excited by all the recent young developers joining up! If you end up going to a post-highschool institute to study programming, then be sure to mention our project to your peers! Heck, tell your current friends, too. We need a lot of bug hunters and future developers.
draghan

Post by draghan »

sirherrbatka wrote:Don't worry. You surpassed my l33t English skillz and now you are head to head with Mariusz "Max" Kolonko.
Yeah... "Mariusz Max Kolanko, Boston Mase-Ciusets" rulez! 8-) :lol:
lgromanowski wrote:Just call me Lukasz (or lgro), you don't need to add "sir" :)
Ok sir.
Zini wrote:I think I found some tasks for you.
It made me very excited ... :P
Zini wrote:A very trivial one, which should make a nice warm-up exercise:
More Component Namespace Cleanup
It will probably ideal for the beginning. Thank you Zini.
Zini wrote:And if you haven't died from boredom while doing that, you can have a go at this afterwards:
^-escape sequences in text output
Relax, I'll never fall asleep at the code. Well, unless it is already four in the morning. And I write from 5am. :roll:
Zini wrote:Not trivial at all, but also very low priority, which means you can take as much time as you want.
I think that I should not have problems with this task.
ElderTroll wrote:Great to have you.
Hello, ElderTroll /nice nickname :D /
ElderTroll wrote:If you end up going to a post-highschool institute to study programming, then be sure to mention our project to your peers! Heck, tell your current friends, too.
You can be calm. ;) But I fear that in these times people are reluctant to help for free... :cry:
Tarius

Post by Tarius »

You can be calm. But I fear that in these times people are reluctant to help for free...
I think this project and the MW modding community stand as an example to the contrary here. You get someone interested, and they will work on something. All that matters is if they have time they wish to allocate to the task.