New Developer

Join the team. This area is for people who want to participate in OpenMW's development in one way or another.
Zini

Re: New Developer

Post by Zini »

Seems he has decided ;)
The idea is to create a third field in the launcher to excute "mwiniimport" ?
You should add a 4th tab to the launcher that let's the user run the ini importer

You should check, if the launcher is run for the first time (you can use an additional setting in launcher.cfg).

If it is, you should open the launcher with the 4th tab open.

You should check all data paths for the Morrowind.ini file (actually check one directory above the data path locations) and if there is more than one, let the user choose.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Hm ... Actually that would be the more elaborate variant (this issue). Kinda the 2nd generation importer interface.

If you want to keep it simple for now, you can instead:

Code: Select all

if the launcher is run for the first time:
    if there is at least one ini file:
        before opening the launcher main window, open a continue/cancel type dialogue that offers the user to run the importer (which then would pick the ini file with the highest priority, if there is more than one).
That might actually be a better way to do the initial configuration anyway (the 4th tab would still be needed later, in case the user wants to explicitly import a different ini file).

I guess we haven't thought through the usability of the whole feature yet.
loic

Post by loic »

Zini wrote:Hm ... Actually that would be the more elaborate variant (this issue). Kinda the 2nd generation importer interface.

If you want to keep it simple for now, you can instead:

Code: Select all

if the launcher is run for the first time:
    if there is at least one ini file:
        before opening the launcher main window, open a continue/cancel type dialogue that offers the user to run the importer (which then would pick the ini file with the highest priority, if there is more than one).
That might actually be a better way to do the initial configuration anyway (the 4th tab would still be needed later, in case the user wants to explicitly import a different ini file).

I guess we haven't thought through the usability of the whole feature yet.
Maybe I can starting directly to add the 4th tabulation no ?
Of course I can try with dialog box first, but for what I understand,
the idea is to add a tabulation to manage the importer ?

About the importer I don't understand something,
when I launch it : "./mwiniimport ../Morrowind.ini ./openmw.cfg"

that add only in openmw.cfg this :
fallback=Weather_Sunrise_Time,6
fallback=Weather_Sunset_Time,18
fps=0
nosound=0

why ?
Zini

Post by Zini »

Maybe I can starting directly to add the 4th tabulation no ?
If you want.
the idea is to add a tabulation to manage the importer ?
Yes and no. We need another tab, so the user can import a new ini file any time he wants.

But we also need to run the importer at least once on a new installation of OpenMW, because once the fallback system is actually in use, OpenMW won't work properly anymore without imported ini settings.
About the importer I don't understand something,
when I launch it : "./mwiniimport ../Morrowind.ini ./openmw.cfg"

that add only in openmw.cfg this :
fallback=Weather_Sunrise_Time,6
fallback=Weather_Sunset_Time,18
fps=0
nosound=0

why ?
The importer only imports those settings that are in use at this time (nosound) plus some for testing the fallback feature (that are not in use yet).

Actually making use of the ini settings (and change the importer so that it imports them), is a separate issue.

btw. If you are sure that you want to take this task, you should create a new thread in the development forum for it.