New Developer

Join the team. This area is for people who want to participate in OpenMW's development in one way or another.
loic

Re: New Developer

Post by loic »

Yes I'am interrested by this issue.
Just for information, I'am working on Linux, and maybe I can work
on mac too.

For what I understand, about this issue, that reset everytime by default ?
loic

Post by loic »

We talking about the "omwlauncher" ?

because for me, when I go to Graphics change Renderer and Display,
run game, quit , relaunch "omwlauncher", my setting was saved ?
Zini

Post by Zini »

Just for information, I'am working on Linux
Per se this is a good thing, but according to user reports this problem can only be observed on Windows.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

The issue affects only the RenderSystem selection, so you can't observe it on linux (because on Linux there's only openGL). But like I said on the issue tracker, this problem would most probably go away when doing the rewrite - and someone else on windows could confirm if it's gone.

Here's a rough outline what to do:
1. Add the following settings (with reasonable defaults) to the settings by adding them to settings-default.cfg (In a "Video" category):
- FSAA level (antialiasing)
- Render system (either DirectX9 or OpenGL currently)
- Resolution
- Fullscreen mode
2. Change the renderer to use these settings instead of the created "ogre.cfg" file (this means changing from the autocreated OGRE window to a manually created window)
- relevant source: libs/openengine/renderer.cpp/.h
- for examples how to retrieve settings, you can have a look at apps/openmw/mwrender/renderingmanager.cpp (search for Settings::)
3. Make the launcher functional again, by making it configure the new settings, and not creating the "ogre.cfg" file. (This would be the QT part)
Zini

Post by Zini »

1. Add the following settings (with reasonable defaults) to the settings by adding them to settings-default.cfg (In a "Video" category):
This is actually an interesting point. Can we find reasonable defaults? If I read the code correctly, currently these defaults are created by OGRE, which in turn determines them based on the available hardware. Can we find fixed defaults that:

a) work on all systems
b) aren't using settings so minimal that they are useless by modern standards?
Zini

Post by Zini »

btw. I am not convinced that merging ogre.cfg into the settings will fix the bug, since it might be a problem in the GUI and not in the config file handling.
Zini

Post by Zini »

@loic: Maybe you would like to start with this instead, while the ogre.cfg topic is discussed?
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

Zini wrote:This is actually an interesting point. Can we find reasonable defaults? If I read the code correctly, currently these defaults are created by OGRE, which in turn determines them based on the available hardware. Can we find fixed defaults that:

a) work on all systems
b) aren't using settings so minimal that they are useless by modern standards?
In short: Yes.

I don't think turning on AA by default is a good idea (also given that the standard FSAA will not work if any compositors or multiple render targets are activated).

The Render system should default to DirectX on windows due to better drivers (mostly). We can do "render system = default" in the config file and then replace "default" with DirectX on windows or OpenGL on other OS'es in the code.

Resolution/fullscreen should probably stay with the 800x600 windowed mode, until we're out of alpha phase. It's just better for testing.
loic

Post by loic »

Zini wrote:@loic: Maybe you would like to start with this instead, while the ogre.cfg topic is discussed?
Yes, I can starting by this issue.

The idea is to create a third field in the launcher to excute "mwiniimport" ?
Zini

Post by Zini »

Okay. Makes sense.

I still prefer to handle this task and the bug fix separately, since there is a good chance that the ogre.cfg integration will not fix the bug and also has a fairly low priority IMHO (while the bug's priority is very high).

I am not sure anyway, if it is a good starter task since it is fairly complex and involved. It's up to loic though, if he wants to give it a try or rather do something else.