New Developer

Join the team. This area is for people who want to participate in OpenMW's development in one way or another.
loic

New Developer

Post by loic »

Hello everybody,

I'am Loïc, and I want to join to the project.
I have some knowledge about Direct3D/OpenGL and Ogre3D.

But I'am particulary interrested by AI and Network.

After successfully compiled, etc...
I'am reading the code, for to be more familliar.

But May be I will starting by an easy task.

Thank you

Loïc
sirherrbatka

Re: New Developer

Post by sirherrbatka »

welcome
loic

Post by loic »

Hello Sirherrbatka,

I saw on issue tracker, some problem with memory leak (valgrind).
For-example in physicssystem.cpp file, a new pointer
playerphysics = new playerMove is created but without delete ?
Maybe a can starting by this issue ?

I can learn more about the code, before to try starting AI ?

Thank you

Loïc
ezzetabi

Post by ezzetabi »

Zini is the benevolent Dictator-in-chief. To have sure answers you need to wait him. However sounds a reasonable task to me. (not that it means anything...)
Zini

Post by Zini »

We don't do networking for the time being and we are far away from being able to tackle AI. At least two releases away I would guess, even if we would prioritise the groundwork for AI.

There are plenty of other tasks left though. Not much in the area of rendering, but we have lots of GUI and game mechanics tasks and also some world model improvement and code maintenance tasks.

Most of the memory leaks have been addressed already. But you can give the remaining ones a try, if you want.

Be sure to read the documentation for new developers first (see the link in the sticky).
loic

Post by loic »

Hello Zini,

About the code maintenance, it's what I said above about
new without delete, changed some data structure etc ?

Maybe I can starting by GUI too.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Yeah, that is what I meant. Memory leaks and uninitialised variables. I just looked through the latest log. It seems all the easy ones have already been addressed. A few of the remaining problems look like false positives and some other seems to be located in libraries we are using, which means we can't fix them.
But you can have a look at it anyway. There are probably some cases left that require fixing. And even if we can't clean up the list completely, reducing its size would also be good.
Most of the GUI task (actually most tasks of any type) for the next release have been taken. But we can easily add new ones. For example this one:

http://bugs.openmw.org/issues/119
loic

Post by loic »

Zini wrote:
Yeah, that is what I meant. Memory leaks and uninitialised variables. I just looked through the latest log. It seems all the easy ones have already been addressed. A few of the remaining problems look like false positives and some other seems to be located in libraries we are using, which means we can't fix them.
But you can have a look at it anyway. There are probably some cases left that require fixing. And even if we can't clean up the list completely, reducing its size would also be good.
Most of the GUI task (actually most tasks of any type) for the next release have been taken. But we can easily add new ones. For example this one:

http://bugs.openmw.org/issues/119
Ok, otherwise I see there are a task about editor in QT, I have some knowledge about Qt, and can starting by this task ?
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

Maybe for something easier first? If you know both Ogre and QT, you could easily take this: http://bugs.openmw.org/issues/250

Basically, the launcher's renderer config has to be rewritten to use the components/settings/ component. If you're interested I could give further instructions (it involves some other cleanup, too).
Zini

Post by Zini »

Yeah, that issue would be also a good start.

You can either go for the changes scrawl suggested (totally makes sense) or, if you want something smaller, just look for the bug, which I suspect is something completely trivial.

Afterwards we can talk about the editor or you could have a go at another launcher task.