I want to join

Join the team. This area is for people who want to participate in OpenMW's development in one way or another.
sirherrbatka

Re: I want to join

Post by sirherrbatka »

mark76

Post by mark76 »

Thank you all for your warm welcome! Before I dive into the separate detail threads, let me just give you some general answers.

I am aware that your structures are different from mines, but I don't see any significant difficulties with this - most of the underlying problems remain the same (and it will be a nice test to see that I have actually found an optimal way to do it). From what I see, there are two significant tasks to be done: multiple esX support and smoother animations.

From looking over everything, I suggest that I try my luck with multiple esX support, as it depends on less engine-specific details. Plus, I haven't looked into how Ogre shaders work at all yet. (But if you want to discuss this, feel free to ask.) On the other hand, multiple plugin support "just" requires some dedicated data structures and logics, most of which already exists (besides some minor details that need to be ported). I'll have a look into the separate description of this issue, and try to post some (hopefully understandable) details on how I have done it so far. Maybe some of you have some ideas that I didn't find yet :) .
Zini

Post by Zini »

Okay. I don't see you on the bug tracker (needs a separate registration), so I can't officially assign the task to you yet, but have it anyway.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

Great!

Chris recently starting to dive into animations anyway.
mark76

Post by mark76 »

Okay, I have just registered at the bug tracker, and it seems to work. Setting up the source code to build does not - I have spent several hours trying to set up the OpenMW cmake script, and I ultimately failed. (Visual Studio 2008-based, git snapshot from yesterday night.)

The cmake script can't set up/detect the following three dependencies (on Windows, using the built-in cmd.exe shell):

- Bullet. The Wiki page does not tell how to set this up. Hacking "FindBullet.cmake" to use absolute paths helps, but it is not the desired behaviour.
- Mpg123. The cmake script complains about some variables not being set. Not mentioned at all on the Wiki page except for some apt-gettable Linux packes, which does not apply to Windows.
- libsndfile. The Wiki mentions that this packet is needed, but it does not tell anything about setting it up on Windows.

Everything else seems to be detected. I do not want to post a premature bug report, as this is the head branch, where this issue might already be known and somebody might already be in process of fixing it. Any suggestions how to proceed?
Ace (SWE)

Post by Ace (SWE) »

Working with windows and automatically finding packages is pretty much impossible since it doesn't have a specified folder for storing them. Go with manually setting all the necessary values to the files and just hope for the best.

Bullet:
Just set BULLET_INCLUDE_DIR to Bullet/src and all the BULLET_<whatever>_LIBRARY (_DEBUG) variables to the respective lib files from the build.

Mpg123:
If you don't feel like building it yourself then you need to create a .lib from the .dll.def you get from the precompiled mpg123 download for windows.
Once you have the lib just set MPG123_INCLUDE_DIR to where the mpg123.h file is and MPG123_LIBRARY to the lib you generated from the .dll.def.

Libsndfile:
There are precompiled development packages for windows that contain all the files you need. Set SNDFILE_INCLUDE to the include folder and SNDFILE_LIBRARY to lib/libsndfile-1.lib
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

You can also try to visit our irc channel. Although populated mostly by linux freaks at least some of them compiled openmw on windows as well.
pvdk

Post by pvdk »

We secretly know more about Windows than we like to admit, so there's a good chance we will be able to help you out.
ezzetabi

Post by ezzetabi »

Stop using Windows, will ya?

(it is a humorous answer to pvdk comment, just to be clear)
mark76

Post by mark76 »

Okay, thanks for your hints, I have finally managed to generate a working solution file for VC++ 2008. Now I am trying to build everything, and, as you may guess, it still chokes on some things. I am preparing a bug report (I thing I could actually do some things myself), but one point must be clarified right now, unfortunately.

I am still getting a few errors on undefined/missing symbols from the Ogre side, and I believe that Version 1.7.1 (as told by the Wiki) is outdated. Which version do I need to use - 1.7.4 (which is the latest), or even a snapshot/alpha/beta of the 1.8 branch? It should not be too difficult to rebuild most stuff, but it still takes some time to (re)build everything - so I would prefer to know what core library to base everything on.

@ezzetabi: I also prefer Linux to Windows, but even with Wine, a fair amount of games does not work reasonably well. Granted, it has been years since I tried it out... so many things, so little time...