Application: crassell

Join the team. This area is for people who want to participate in OpenMW's development in one way or another.
raevol

Re: Application: crassell

Post by raevol »

I know I'm late to the party, but welcome and good to have you aboard! Looking forward to new/better animations in OpenMW!

Also a point of interest, I think we already have a Chris in the community? You may want to stick with crassell for clarity. :lol:
crassell

Post by crassell »

Br0ken wrote: 28 Aug 2017, 21:21 Is there any games/engines that using OpenGEX (besides Terathon's engines)?
I'm googled about it, but don't find anything.
Fair point. All I find on google is the C4 Engine and the Tombstone Engine. Let me try to lay out the options:
1. Continue with proprietary reverse engineered NIF and bring the epxorters for the major 3d modelling tools up to working condition with it
2. Converge on OpenGEX and add necessary asset file formats for parts that are missing
3. Converge on GLTF2.0 and add necessary asset file formats for parts that are missing
4. Converge on OSGT and OSGB and add necessary asset file formats for parts that are missing
5. Create YAFF (yet another file format) where we promise to ourselves that it will be better than all other formats before and globally usable ( relevant xkcd -> https://xkcd.com/927/ )

raevol wrote: 28 Aug 2017, 21:29 Also a point of interest, I think we already have a Chris in the community? You may want to stick with crassell for clarity.
Thanks for the warm welcome!
I can go by my full name Christopher? :)
Br0ken

Post by Br0ken »

crassell wrote: 28 Aug 2017, 21:57 Fair point. All I find on google is the C4 Engine and the Tombstone Engine.
Looks like OpenGEX is a one-man project without any adoption... That strange, if it's so good as described.
IMHO, glTF 2.0 seems to be more perspective and it's backed by Khronos Group.

I vote for futher nif/osg format development for now. 8-)
Maybe leave new formats for post-1.0?
crassell

Post by crassell »

Although we aren't involved with using ogre any longer, it is informative to see them having the same debate and weighing in on OpenGEX and glTF2.0:
http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=93185
Br0ken wrote: 28 Aug 2017, 23:40 I vote for futher nif/osg format development for now.
I tend to agree with you after reading their responses. I'll focus on extending the OSG format with alterations to the current osgexporter in order to support animation from blender.
raevol

Post by raevol »

crassell wrote: 28 Aug 2017, 21:57 I can go by my full name Christopher? :)
Haha I guess it's up to you two to hash it out. :)
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

ChrisTheYounger (you) and ChrisTheElder (kcat)

:D

Don't forget that the newer NIF (>=TES4) have havok data which can be used as well to influence the animation/rigging. Many people would love to see this.
crassell

Post by crassell »

psi29a wrote: 29 Aug 2017, 07:15 ChrisTheYounger (you) and ChrisTheElder (kcat)
As far as experience and being on this team, I'm ChrisTheToddler :lol:
psi29a wrote: 29 Aug 2017, 07:15 Don't forget that the newer NIF (>=TES4) have havok data which can be used as well to influence the animation/rigging. Many people would love to see this.
So I think we may be converging on a decision here. It seems like we should focus on OSG (for extending format support based on our native renderer / new capabilities) and NIF (to extend to future bethesda titles / new capabilities).

I want to prioritize one and was leaning towards OSG. Do we think for extending past morrowind to oblvion / fallout 3 / skyrim etc., we should focus on NIF first? I know there is already another massive oblivion asset import thread with work on this so I could leverage that progress.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Further NIF support has additional benefits:
1) support for more modern NIF assets already created by modders
2) supports the eventual evolution of OpenMW running Oblivion/Skyrim/Fallout3/4/etc.
3) OpenMW is no longer dependent on Morrowind specific plugins for asset creation, meaning that modern tools can be used using the latest version of NIF (Skyrim/Fallout3/4).

Even if OSG gets animation support, it's usage will still be low in comparison to those modeling and exporting to NIF.

If you would still like to develop OSG further, please do... don't let me (or anyone else) stop you. ;)
crassell

Post by crassell »

psi29a wrote: 29 Aug 2017, 17:54 Even if OSG gets animation support, it's usage will still be low in comparison to those modeling and exporting to NIF.

If you would still like to develop OSG further, please do... don't let me (or anyone else) stop you.
I'm going to localize my efforts to animation portions of the formats we may want to use and experiment with OSG / OpenGEX / Oblivion and Skyrim compatible NIF. This will be a learning experience for me. Then I will come back with hopefully some more wisdom on the subject of creating assets in blender and then importing them into the engine using the various formats.
JohnMaster

Post by JohnMaster »

@crassell: FYI, check out the latest post by scrawl on the 'OpenGEX as .Nif alternative for OpenMW' thread.