Application: bwhaines

Join the team. This area is for people who want to participate in OpenMW's development in one way or another.
bwhaines

Application: bwhaines

Post by bwhaines »

Hello all,

I'm a big fan of the OpenMW project and, now that school is done for the semester I have time to actually get involved!

Right now I'm a Release and Porting Engineer professionally, and I'm taking grad school classes for comp sci part time. Pretty much all of my professional work is in C, but I've worked in C++, Java, and Python as well.

I'd love to take a crack at the Android port (I kinda already started to :P ), but by the sounds of it the CS needs the most work? I'm happy adding to whatever needs it.

I've read though the new dev checklist, but I ran into a bug while building. I built and installed the OpenMW port of OSG from GitHub, but then OpenMW can't find the OSG version number when I run CMake:

Code: Select all

bwhaines@bwhaines-desktop:~/git/openmw$ cmake .
-- Configuring OpenMW...
-- Using Qt4
-- Found FFmpeg_AVCODEC 56.60.100
-- Found FFmpeg_AVFORMAT 56.40.101
-- Found FFmpeg_AVUTIL 54.31.100
-- Found FFmpeg_SWSCALE 3.1.101
-- Found FFmpeg_SWRESAMPLE 1.2.101
-- Found LIBUNSHIELD 
CMake Warning at /usr/share/cmake-3.5/Modules/FindOpenSceneGraph.cmake:179 (message):
  [ FindOpenSceneGraph.cmake:179 ] Failed to parse version number, please
  report this as a bug
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  CMakeLists.txt:210 (find_package)

CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake-3.5/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:148 (message):
  Could NOT find OpenSceneGraph: Found unsuitable version "..", but required
  is at least "3.3.4" (found
  /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libosgDB.so;/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libosgViewer.so;/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libosgText.so;/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libosgGA.so;/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libosgAnimation.so;/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libosgParticle.so;/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libosgUtil.so;/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libosgFX.so;/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libosg.so;/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libOpenThreads.so)
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  /usr/share/cmake-3.5/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:386 (_FPHSA_FAILURE_MESSAGE)
  /usr/share/cmake-3.5/Modules/FindOpenSceneGraph.cmake:234 (FIND_PACKAGE_HANDLE_STANDARD_ARGS)
  CMakeLists.txt:210 (find_package)

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
I tried building/installing OSG from the master and OpenSceneGraph-3.4 branches, same result. Any advice?

Regardless, I look forward to working with you all!
Brett
DestinedToDie

Re: Application: bwhaines

Post by DestinedToDie »

Hey. Unfortunately I'm not acquainted with building OpenMW so I'm not much help.

But I am glad to see someone interested in OpenMW-CS. I've been waiting for quite some time on a certain feature. A doormarker. This would make it possible to point doors in the OpenMW-CS to teleport the player into the appropriate location. Currently missing this and can't make doors function as cell transitioners.
raevol

Post by raevol »

Welcome! In my personal view, the thing we need the most help on is getting shadows working in the main engine. But that's just me!

Glad to have you on board!
bwhaines

Post by bwhaines »

Doormarkers and shadows, OK. I have zero experience working with graphics so shadows probably isn't the best task for me.

EDIT -- Just got OpenMW to build. If anyone else runs into the same issue, I got around it by *not* installing OSG, and then pointing OpenMW to the built OSG libraries manually.
Jyby

Post by Jyby »

bwhaines?!? I'm a Haines, unrelated I bet.

If there is something you can start with, we need significant progress done on OpenMW-CS! But you may need to navigate with the other developers on those tasks.