aesylwinn

Join the team. This area is for people who want to participate in OpenMW's development in one way or another.
aesylwinn

aesylwinn

Post by aesylwinn »

Reason for Joining
Hi. I was first introduced to TES with Skyrim and became a fan of the genre. While browsing on the web, I came across this project. I tried it out and became interested in helping out.

Experience
In terms of programming experience, most of it has been with c++. I first gained the interest 4-5 years ago. At that point, I was mainly learning the language. I then found OGRE and messed around with that a little. I made a few small "games," the culmination of which was a 3d version of asteroids. After that, my interest changed towards constructing engines. I made an engine (more like a wrapper) combining several libraries and a small demo. It worked, though performance was terrible. I then gained an interest in multithreading (at first using boost, then c++11). After becoming familiar with the topic, I remade my engine with different modules all running on different threads. Surprisingly it worked. I would say I have a decent understanding of c++, though I am inexperienced when it comes to working on group projects.

Me
I am 21 years old and currently in college. I play games to some degree, but not extensively. I am currently working my way through the Witcher 3. I hate American television shows. When I discovered anime 2-3 years ago, it was life changing. While I do not enjoy all anime, there are certainly some good ones. I love One Punch, that show is great. Additionally, ever since my youth I have enjoyed reading, and I am currently trying to read all the diamonds of science fiction.
Zini

Re: aesylwinn

Post by Zini »

Welcome. Please go through the new developer checklist (linked in the pinned thread above). Once you are done with that we can find a task for you.

Currently most the remaining tasks are located in the OpenMW-CS part of the project. If you are okay with working on the editor instead of the actual engine, we certainly can find something for you. .
aesylwinn

Post by aesylwinn »

I have successfully gone through the checklist. I did run into a slight issue with qt4 (on arch linux). While it did compile, openmw-cs had a segmentation fault on startup. Based on the output from gdb, it looked like it was using the qt5 library. Since I'm relatively new to linux, I'm not sure if that is a problem with my system or a bug with the program. Anyway, compiling with qt5 worked for me. I'm alright with working on the editor part of the project, so if there's a good place for me to start, let me know.
Cramal

Post by Cramal »

I think

http://bugs.openmw.org/issues/3020

or

http://bugs.openmw.org/issues/3066

could be a good place to start.

It seems limited to a relatively part of the code and can be a good way to become familiar with verifier in order to go after for features like 652 and 929
aesylwinn

Post by aesylwinn »

I think I'll start working on 3020. Should I start a thread in the Development section?
Zini

Post by Zini »

If there is anything you want to discuss about it, then yes, please open a thread. If you are sure you know what you are doing you can as well just go ahead without a forum thread.
Zini

Post by Zini »

That was quick. Do you want to continue with verifier tasks? We still have plenty of them, but I would fully understand if you find them too boring and want to do something else.
aesylwinn

Post by aesylwinn »

I don't mind continuing to work on the verifier. It seems like a good place to learn the various mechanics of the game, and the structure of the engine to some degree. :)
Zini

Post by Zini »

Okay then:

There is still the issue 3006 mentioned above. And then we have:

* Editor: GMST verifier
* Editor: Info record verifier

There are also the verifiers for the LTEX and LAND records, but we don't even have the tables for them yet, so that will have to wait a bit longer.
aesylwinn

Post by aesylwinn »

It looks like someone is working on 3006, so I think I'll start working on the GSMT verifier.
I'll post a thread in the development section later. I found this site: http://wiwiki.wiwiland.net/index.php/TE ... e_des_GMST mentioned on the forums, but I'm going to have to do a bit more research.
Last edited by aesylwinn on 20 Dec 2015, 10:30, edited 1 time in total.