Application: Danjb

Join the team. This area is for people who want to participate in OpenMW's development in one way or another.
Danjb

Application: Danjb

Post by Danjb »

Hello,

I am a long-time Morrowind player and modder, professional software developer and hobbyist game developer. I don't know how much time (if any) I'll be able to give to this project so I'm not making a huge commitment right now, but just to say that I'm around and interested!

It seems like the first challenge will just be setting up a development environment. You guys don't like making things easy, do you? :P

I've downloaded everything, now I just need to figure out how to build all of the various libraries, etc. I'm 99% sure I'll run into some problems here, so expect another post soon!

Thanks,
Danjb
cc9cii

Re: Application: Danjb

Post by cc9cii »

Welcome.

Just a quick note - I don't believe we depend on any particular version of FFmpeg any more.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Danjb wrote:It seems like the first challenge will just be setting up a development environment. You guys don't like making things easy, do you? :P

I've downloaded everything, now I just need to figure out how to build all of the various libraries, etc. I'm 99% sure I'll run into some problems here, so expect another post soon!
Don't blame us, blame Microsoft and their development ecosystem. They are totally developer unfriendly.

That Apple, *BSD varients and Linux distributions make setting up a development machine a 30 minute breeze through the park speaks volumes to Microsoft's way of handling things (read: 4 hours if you know what you're doing, days if you don't).

I wrote a guide a year or so back on the wiki about development setup for both Ubuntu/Debian and Windows.
Danjb

Post by Danjb »

cc9cii wrote:Welcome.

Just a quick note - I don't believe we depend on any particular version of FFmpeg any more.
Good to know, thanks.
psi29a wrote:Don't blame us, blame Microsoft and their development ecosystem. They are totally developer unfriendly.

That Apple, *BSD varients and Linux distributions make setting up a development machine a 30 minute breeze through the park speaks volumes to Microsoft's way of handling things (read: 4 hours if you know what you're doing, days if you don't).

I wrote a guide a year or so back on the wiki about development setup for both Ubuntu/Debian and Windows.
Completely agree. I assume your guide is the one I'm following (29,250 hits, wow!!). Wish me luck!
Danjb

Post by Danjb »

Hello again.

As expected, I've run into my first problem, and that is building MyGUI. I have followed these instructions as far as the "Compiling" step, I've opened up "ALL_BUILD.vcxproj" produced by CMake, and I've added $(BOOST_ROOT) as an include to the MyGUI.OgrePlatform project:

When I try to Build Solution, I get a number of errors, some of which seems to imply that it cannot find a file from Boost:
Spoiler: Show
Can anyone see anything obvious I've done wrong?

Nearly done though!

Ogre
Boost
Bullet
Freetype
MyGUI
OpenAL
Qt
FFmpeg
SDL
dteviot

Post by dteviot »

I'm not sure how much use this is, but here's the steps I went through to build OpenMW from source on Windows.
Also, my notes on some problems I ran into.
(The big problem seems to be SDL2, for some reason the CMAKE file for including that doesn't work properly on Windows.
Note that the build instructions for OpenMW https://wiki.openmw.org/index.php?title ... ment_Setup do mention this.
sjek

Post by sjek »

Thanks :) personally could even get that working in the weekend althought it gets looong time maybe post 1.0 in following and trying before can make anything like pull request without breaking stuff than reading and contributing to forum .p

Will be nice to play with the code as it will be handy when making mods later on top of it :D
Danjb

Post by Danjb »

Thank you for your notes, but unfortunately I am still having trouble building MyGUI! I started over, following these steps:
  1. Downloaded the source for MyGUI_3.2.07.
  2. Skipped building FreeType as I already have the OGRE dependencies.
  3. Ran CMake and set source directory to location of MyGUI sources.
  4. Pressed Configure. Output:
  5. Pressed Configure again. Output:
  6. Pressed Generate, selected Visual Studio 12 2013 Win.
  7. Opened produced project in Visual Studio.
  8. Added $(BOOST_ROOT) to MyGUI.OgrePlatform.Properties->C/C++->General->Additional Includes.
  9. Pressed Build Solution. Output:
Still some errors, but not as many as last time! Again, if anyone can spot anything obvious that I'm missing, please let me know. If not, I'll keep slogging through.

Thanks,
Danjb

EDIT: Enabled the "static library" option in CMake and built only MyGUI.OgrePlatform and that built correctly, at least. I've just gone and built Boost as well, so hopefully I'm ready to build OpenMW itself!! If (when) I run into any more problems I'll make a new thread.
sjek

Post by sjek »

boost was kinda tricky to got working.

these one helped guite alot:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2629 ... 13#2641513 the cmake_install_prefix in cmake is important to note and building it via console first running bootsrap.sh outside for b2, gives the i368 folder more surely. then copying it under boost_root / lib from C:/

http://www.ogre3d.org/addonforums/viewt ... 250#p80275 as depency it needs ogre_include and ogre_source directories setted in cmake when building the openmw itself or the mygui doesn't found it. don't remember if that ogreiteratorrange.h 47 was exactly that.

for the link2019 could that be from libraries or something http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/799kze2z.aspx ......?