Application: KitKett

Join the team. This area is for people who want to participate in OpenMW's development in one way or another.
KitKett

Application: KitKett

Post by KitKett »

Hello!

I'm KitKett, Comuter Engineering student from Hungary and I really want to contribute to the project.

I have some experience in c++ programming and some knowdelege in design patterns and I managed myself through the Developer Checklist (on windows).

I'm looking forward for some task!
Zini

Re: Application: KitKett

Post by Zini »

OpenMW is almost feature complete and all but the hard bugs have been fixed already. There isn't much to do for a newcomer right now. Would you be okay with working on OpenCS (which involves Qt) instead? We still have plenty of tasks there.
KitKett

Post by KitKett »

Okay, where should i start?
Zini

Post by Zini »

Let's try something different this time (didn't had much luck with given new developers the really basic tasks recently; apparently I managed to bore several to death).

First a bit of background information: The OpenCS user settings system was completed very late, because it had to go through a rewrite and the person working on it did not had a lot of free time. This has resulted in the OpenCS code being littered with /// \todo comments that indicate some hardcoded value or setting that should be configurable via the user setting UI instead.

If you want to take this task, you should do the following:
- Make a list of all /// \todo comments of the type described above in apps/opencs. A simple grep or the respective equivalent on your OS should do the job. Make sure to sort out those todo comments that are not of the user settings type.
- Sort these into meaningful categories/pages. Our current categories are rudimentary, so you will have to add new ones.
- At this point you probably should create a thread in the editor development forum and post your results as well as any questions about user settings that you don't fully understand. We can then go over these and refine things a bit.
- Add the categories and user settings to the user settings system.
- Change to code so that it uses the user settings instead of the hardcoded values.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Any progress?
cc9cii

Post by cc9cii »

FWIW, this might help (I'm using cygwin):

Code: Select all

find . -type f | xargs grep "//[^\]*\\\todo" | grep config | sed 's/:.*$//' | sort | uniq
Zini

Post by Zini »

Any news?