Application - slothlife

Join the team. This area is for people who want to participate in OpenMW's development in one way or another.
scrawl

Re: Application - slothlife

Post by scrawl »

Yes, the World already tracks current time. The time values in WeatherManager are just cached. Nothing you need to worry about, because World::setDay and friends also update the WeatherManager.
I'm assuming the fallbacks shouldn't be saved either
Correct.
I'm also curious, it looks like the weather simulation isn't done via fixed time steps, but just elapsed time.
Exactly. I don't see any benefits that fixed timesteps would achieve here.
slothlife

Post by slothlife »

Bleh, I lost my last post since I got automatically logged out.

Anyway - I can understand why it's not using a fixed timestep, since its goal isn't repeatability / consistency like, say, a physics simulation.

I am seeing some unused state, mDay and mMonth - would anyone object if I removed these and the methods to set them?

I'm also assuming that it is fine to ignore the sounds being played, since it's probably not very easy to save the state of the playback (or perhaps it is?). I'd imagine that it wouldn't break immersion at the very least.

I'm not sure if it's necessary to save the thunder state, although it would result in a thunderclap being played right after loading a save file in a thunderstorm if it wasn't. Maybe that would be annoying to users.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

I am seeing some unused state, mDay and mMonth - would anyone object if I removed these and the methods to set them?
Go ahead.
I'm also assuming that it is fine to ignore the sounds being played, since it's probably not very easy to save the state of the playback (or perhaps it is?). I'd imagine that it wouldn't break immersion at the very least.
We are not currently saving any sound state in general. Not sure if that is planned at some point.
it would result in a thunderclap being played right after loading a save file in a thunderstorm
How come?
slothlife

Post by slothlife »

Actually, never mind - mThunderChanceNeeded would be 50, so it wouldn't. I'm just browsing the code when I have a little spare time at work so when I get a chance it will be quicker to implement.