Bon soir, I humbly present myself

Join the team. This area is for people who want to participate in OpenMW's development in one way or another.
archiebawled

Bon soir, I humbly present myself

Post by archiebawled »

I'd like to present myself for dipping my toe in the water of development. To be perfectly frank I don't exactly have a vast amount of time available, but I'd like to contribute, even if it's only in smaller ways.

I've been writing C++ for about 5 years now, and it's the basis of my current employment. I've worked a little with meshes (though not textured ones) in the course of my university life. I studied mathematics and would be interested in learning about AI, though I suspect that would require quite a lot of time before I could be helpful.

Unfortunately, aside from some limited experience with Qt, I've not used any of the libraries mentioned on the "setting up your dev environment" page. I regularly use clang, gcc and VS2010/2 but my experience with cmake is non-existant. Ubuntu and Windows 7/8 are my major operating systems at the moment.

Might I be useful somewhere? Rather than jumping in and saying "I shall attempt this task!" in a Quixotic and futile gesture, I was hoping that somebody might be able to suggest a task or two that I could start off on.

Thanks.

PS: There aren't any build packages for Ubuntu 13.04 (Raring). I know that it was only released a couple of days ago and you've been busy with the release of 0.23, but I figured I'd mention it just in case.
sirherrbatka

Re: Bon soir, I humbly present myself

Post by sirherrbatka »

Welcome, welcome! Nice to see another new programmer.

Make sure to complete checklist.

PS
may i ask how you found about this project? Thanks. :)
archiebawled

Post by archiebawled »

Don't worry about the checklist, I'm about half way through it, almost ready to stary building :-)

I heard about OpenMW through an article on Phoronix.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Welcome! Since you mentioned Qt, would you be okay with working on the editor instead of the actual OpenMW engine? We are currently waiting for the new user settings UI to finish, which unfortunately blocks a lot of tasks. But there are still a few left that could be tackled right away.

You didn't mentioned anything about your experience with MW. If you have any, these might be good starter tasks for you:

* Editor: GMST verifier
* Editor: add GMSTs when creating new base file

Or maybe one of these instead:

* Editor: Threaded loading
* Editor: Thread Pool
* Editor: drag & drop of sub views between top level windows of the same document
?
archiebawled

Post by archiebawled »

Working on the editor would be fine by me, particularly as my level of experience with Morrowind itself is somewhat lacking.

I'll start by taking a look at threaded loading.