Inerested in helping

Join the team. This area is for people who want to participate in OpenMW's development in one way or another.
graffy

Inerested in helping

Post by graffy »

Just browsing the openMW site and thought I'd throw my hat in the ring. Don't have a lot of time to contribute, but I'm willing to do something. I've done some QT, GLSL, C++ (mostly VS2010), Boost (incl. Spirit), OpenSceneGraph, a little neural network / k-means tomfoolery and some custom scripting for a Steam release... Currently learning the ropes of coding on Linux Mint 14 with KDevelop4. Also have dabbled with Python and I know my way around Blender / Gimp...

In any case, programming's a hobby for me - no claims on being a C++ expert, though I've had a lot of fun with it. I see help is needed with the editor, but I'll do whatever. Would definitely categorize myself as a "beginner" for the time being. :)
sirherrbatka

Re: Inerested in helping

Post by sirherrbatka »

hi, zini will find you some warmup task, probabbly cleaning. Welcome.
Zini

Post by Zini »

As usual I direct you to the new developer checklist first (there is a link in a pinned thread in this forum).

We are still somewhat short on beginner tasks for OpenMW, but we have plenty of them for our new editor.

How about one of these:

* Editor: Improve appearance of operations widget
* Editor: add an application icon
* Editor: Start Dialogue

?
graffy

Post by graffy »

Been through the checklist - thanks.

Still cutting my teeth on QT, but it's been pretty straightforward figuring it out. Trying to wrap my head around how OpenMW works - I suspect working with the editor will help me a good deal in that respect. :)

As I browsed the opencs source, I see that there's no QT IDE-specific files. Not knowing much about this sort of thing, is there general reluctance to use QT Creator / Designer? Not that I'm interested in porting / converting anything - just curious. I'm always a fan of using tools like that to make maintenance easier, but I realize that's not always the preferred method...

Anyway, as I get Morrowind re-installed and play with the editor a bit, I'll start working on those.

Thanks.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

Just load the CMakeLists.txt in QT Creator, this will import the project. I use this IDE as well (even though I dont work on any QT stuff - its pretty neat)
Zedd

Post by Zedd »

Welcome, great we have someone new working on the editor!
graffy

Post by graffy »

Great! Thanks for the tip.
blunted2night

Post by blunted2night »

scrawl wrote:Just load the CMakeLists.txt in QT Creator, this will import the project. I use this IDE as well (even though I dont work on any QT stuff - its pretty neat)
You just saved my sanity verifying builds in Linux... Much appreciated.