hello all

Join the team. This area is for people who want to participate in OpenMW's development in one way or another.
blunted2night

hello all

Post by blunted2night »

I wanted to introduce my self. I am a Windows programmer primarily, though I have experience in Linux too. I have over 15 years of professional experience programming almost exclusively in C++ on the Windows platform. I am paid to develop telecommunications software, but in my spare time I bounce between trying to develop a programming language, and somewhat random attempts at writing games solo from the ground up.

I find this project quite interesting and have been following if for some time, and am impressed at the progress that has been made. I have played Elder Scrolls 3, 4, & 5 and found them to be some of the most immersive games available. It has amazed me at what the modding community has been able to do for these games, but they have to work within the limitations of Bethesdas implementation. This project has the potential to remove those limitations, and evolve far beyond what any commercial developer could produce.

I would like to contribute to the success of this project. I have read through the developer polices, forked the repository, and was able get the code to build and run using Visual Studio 2010.

As part of the process, and due to my impatience, I have made some changes to improve build and start-up performance. I was able to reduce build time of the openmw project on my system from 16:30 to 4:20, and the components library from 2:00 to 0:12. I was also able to reduce the start-up time from 5 seconds to 3 seconds. These changes are not ready for prime-time, but I think they are worth further discussion.

Thanks, and sorry for the wall of text.
Zini

Re: hello all

Post by Zini »

Please push your changes to github, so we can have a look at them. Doesn't have to be perfect. People have plenty of work in progress code in their public repositories.
Tarius

Post by Tarius »

Wow, you are the first person I feel compelled to say welcome to. While I am not a developer, I have been following this very closely and your credentials are probably among the best here which I have seen; not to diminish those such as zini and others though.(this project wouldnt be where it is without you zini)

If more people like you show up, this project will be done in no time.
Zedd

Post by Zedd »

Oh lovely, and yet another new developer, and judging from your description, you seem like the guy who can bring us over some obstacles we're having trouble with, I love it that this project attracts all levels of experienced developers.

Now, as always, I hope you can enjoy working on the project. Although you can chose how much time you'll spend on OpenMW (could you give an estimate?) it's very helpful to give us a heads-up whenever you'll stop being active for a while or just stop working on it. There is an amazing count of new developers these holidays, but I fear that most of them will fall away once the holidays are over.

Oh, I almost forgot...

Welcome and happy holidays!
blunted2night

Post by blunted2night »

Thanks for welcoming me into the community.

I think I could easily commit several hours a week to this project. For me, and I imagine most people, it really comes down to motivation. I spend a great deal of my time writing code. When I'm not at work, I am generally working on some random project of mine. If I have a clear idea of what needs to be done, and it doesn't feel like chore I can easily spend significantly more time contributing.