nopoe's developer application.

Join the team. This area is for people who want to participate in OpenMW's development in one way or another.
nopoe

nopoe's developer application.

Post by nopoe » 29 Dec 2012, 06:56

Hi,

I'm nopoe and I was hoping to help out with the project. I'm studying for a CS degree and have around 9 years of experience programming as a hobbyist. I wouldn't consider myself to be "good" in C++, but I certainly know how to program in it and have experience using it in FIRST Robotics. C# and pure OOP are really my strong points, though.

As far as time commitment goes, I have absolutely nothing going on for the next month and could potentially devote many hours per day to the project, but I would like to start relatively small so I don't burn out. After that I'll be starting school. My course load is pretty heavy, but it's mostly CS classes so I'm hoping I will be able to coast through some of them (Programming Fundamentals, Java Programming and Intro to Unix/Linux). At that point I'll probably be able to put in ~10 hours a week, but I will likely have to take time off to study for midterms and finals for some of my classes.

I have forked the repository and built it on my xubuntu installation and have already begun digging in to figure out what makes openmw tick. I actually found what appears to be a bug. I submitted a description of what it is, how to reproduce it and where I think it may be happening to the Techincal>Development subforum here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1259#p12563

As I touched on in that post, I kind of want to keep looking for this bug, but I understand if I'm of better use elsewhere or if it's something I'm incapable of handling.

Thanks for your consideration,
nopoe

Zedd

Re: nopoe's developer application.

Post by Zedd » 29 Dec 2012, 11:21

Welcome nopoe,

great to see yet another developer joined (it must be our Christmas present :) ). I hope you'll enjoy your time here.
It seems like the upcoming time you have to spend on OpenMW will be perfect to (fully) comprehend the structure and workings of the OpenMW code, as it is a big obstacle for every new developer to overcome.

and of course, happy holidays!
Behind you!

nopoe

Post by nopoe » 04 Nov 2013, 09:48

I can't find an appropriate thread for offering to take a task after a long absence, and I don't feel like starting a new one so I thought I'd necro this.

I'm working on a few personal projects, taking 1 class and still have plenty of time to relax so I thought I'd drop by and offer to help out again. What needs doing? I'm up for anything really. Editor tasks, OpenMW tasks, anything. Just keep in mind I do not have intimate knowledge of the codebase and have used the TES construction set (though both of those things can be changed if needed). I did physics when I helped out a while back, but that's probably changed now and I think that's what Chris is working so it might be best to pick something else.

Any ideas?

Zini

Post by Zini » 04 Nov 2013, 10:30

Several options:

* Editor: References verifier

Not a big task and also not very complicated, but will requires a bit of reading up. Not particular urgent, but might make a good warm up task (in case you think you need one).

* Ranged Combat

Somewhat bigger and more complex. Your experience with physics might still come in handy here. Please note, that ideally we want this in the next release (in 4 weeks or so).

* Editor: Drag & Drop

Very important tasks, but requires a lot of reading up on Qt and OpenCS.

sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka » 04 Nov 2013, 19:21

Welcome back! :)

nopoe

Post by nopoe » 04 Nov 2013, 20:25

Ranged combat sounds intimidating. I think I could manage it, but I might not have the cleanest code possible. I think I'll go with the references verifier. Should I post in the Editor Development forum for details?

Zini

Post by Zini » 04 Nov 2013, 20:30

Yes, please.